Possible to replace/reprogam interface in 2018 Explorer Sport to get air direction buttons? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Possible to replace/reprogam interface in 2018 Explorer Sport to get air direction buttons?

aukevin

Reaction score
City, State
AL
Year, Model & Trim Level
2018 Explorer Sport
I love my new 2018 Explorer Sport but I can't stand the lack of physical buttons to adjust the air direction controls. The controls to change air direction is done from the touchscreen which I find very annoying. I've noticed the XLT has the buttons on its interface but some of my fancier features might be missing, like I did not see the seat coolers, so I'm not sure if it is valid possibility to "downgrade" my interface to the XLT version if I lose features.

At the minimum, is there some way to reprogram the existing physical buttons to make it so you can bring up the Climate Control screen on the touchscreen? Like for example the Sound button, I haven't used that button once except for a quicker way to get to the Climate Control screen when using CarPlay which really makes it harder to get to some of the climate controls. Can a button like that be reprogrammed through the dealership to make it do something else? Is that wishful thinking?

Or are there other after market interfaces that might work for me? Can someone point me in the right direction?

Like I said, I love pretty much everything about this Explorer, but after 3 months I still haven't warmed up to how to use the air direction controls.

Thanks!

Welcome to the Forum.:wave:
I don't know if that change to an XLT interface can be done. You would likely lose several features if it is possible. As for changing the direction of air flow, I can't recall the last time I had to do that in the Climate screen. It pretty well stays the way I initially set it and haven't found a reason to change it. I don't know if it can be 'voice controlled' or not as I've never tried it. Also, changing it would affect the warranty on the unit.

Peter

yeah warranties... that's why I was hoping Ford could put a different unit in there. Voice control only adjust the temp setting, and there are buttons for fan speed, but directional you have to press through the touchscreen which is a minimum of two presses just to get to the climate screen, then a third to adjust the direction. If you are in CarPlay, you add at least two more presses on the touchscreen before getting to the climate control screen. It is just really surprising how cumbersome it is to get to what I thought was a pretty common control (air direction) when in these days they try to make things as user friendly as possible to keep your eyes on the road. This is the only vehicle I've ever had that didn't have physical buttons to change the air direction (feet, head, combo). Thanks!

Back