• Register Today It's free!

possible v8 upgrades

bluefever

Reaction score
City, State
New Hampshire
Year, Model & Trim Level
'91 Navajo
what's the biggest v8 that can be crammed into a '91 navajo?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Depends on your ability. do a search

The biggest motor in a 1st gen X (same as a Navajo) is probably a 351W. Don't know of anything bigger than that, but I'm sure somewhere in the world someone put something bigger in. ;) BTW, welcome to the site!

There was an older ranger with a blown 460 in it once (saw pics). I don't think it was street legal though. There are several 351s in rangers and explorers that are street legal. Money, time, and ability are the biggest limits.

is a 460 a possible conversion or are you trying to day that it wouldn't be possible for it to be street legal

Umm....that was a blown ranger called ms. bigfoot I saw. I have no clue if it was actually street legal though. They advertised it as that back years ago, but it was a monster truck.

Am I the only one who ever saw this thing? Baby blue first gen on huge tires with a blower sticking out of the hood?

I have seen a 460 in a BII

Anything is possible to stuff in there, it just depewnds on how crazy you want to get.
Some guys are now putting 4.6L DOHC engines into Rangers.

I personally think the 5.0L can be built to make plenty of power for a Ranger, and it fits like stock because it has been done so many damn times........

will my 5 speed standard transmission bolt up to ford's new 5.0 liter cammer engine

Nope. Even if there was a way to make the stock 5 speed in our Explorers bolt up to any V8...it has no where near the strength to last with that horsepower. :(

what does ford have for manual transmissions that can handle over 400 horsepower? one from a 460?

Look at Mustang drag cars. Those guys can point you to transmission choices. Why not build a 351W stroker engine. They can be made easily to 408 inches, and custom(expensive) can get you another 20-40 cubic inches.

The 460 engines are about an inch taller deck than a 351W. That amounts to a good two inches wider, and the Explorers are barely big enough to fit the 302. The exhaust manifolds are what is the tightest restriction. Good luck,

i think you misunderstood my question, I have a '91 Navajo 5-speed 4x4, i'm considering putting ford's new 5.0 liter cammer engine in, and I was wondering which ford manual transmission's could take over 400 horsepower and 365 ft./lbs. of torque

Sorry, I read the 460 trans... in your post, and missed the meaning of the question mark.

I'd say first measure the engine. If you are talking about the 4.6 V8 block, I doubt that it will go in. I started out wanting the SC 4.6 engine for my 98 Mountaineer. The heads and brake master cylinder appeared to be an interference, besides the exhaust.

Still, with the same bolt pattern, the racers running the 4.6 V8 will be good sources for trans advice. Good luck.

So it is possible to install the 4.6 on a 94 explorer? If yes could you tell me where i can get a kit to do it if is available..

thanks

Also need to know what can I do to improve the performance on a 4.0 SOHC in a 97 explorer. I have already 4.56 ration on the 2 differentials, but engine stills poor on power..

thanks

does ford list the dimensions somewhere since it is a crate engine

I saw a pic of the 4.6 and the 5.0 blocks sitting side by side somewhere (on engine stands). Someone posted it a long time ago on another website. The 4.6 is a lot wider.

I do not know aobut the height since it was just the bare blocks I saw.

Even if you could get the 4.6 high enough, you'd have to move the firewall back and run a huge cowl hood just to fit it. I doubt you could even do that.

The. 5.0 cammer cost about 14-15k, The heads are huge in ohc motors, would probally require alot of fabrictaion to fit in a 1st gen explorer. you're not going to just pull the old motor and put in a cammer bolt it up and drive. as mentioned above you could put 5.0 ohv, stroke it, supercharge it, whatever, make similar power and not spend an arm and leg on a vehicle that is 14 years old.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

go to a junkyard, find an old fullsize ford truck and a fox body. a 351 will fit, but it will require a lot more work than putting in a 302. get a c4 from either one and transer case from the truck, youre defintely going to want the 9 inch rear if youre planning on 400hp. if youre lucky you can find a 302 that runs, and with a wiring harness intact. if youre planning on offroad adventures with 400hp, a solid axle up front is a must. you can build one from junkyard pieces, or get a new front end kit, you can find the leafs from any fullsize ford, or buy afermarket ones and, then weld on some perches. then get your drive shafts, and you have something that is still a fraction of the cost of fords 5.0 cammer.

Back