• Register Today It's free!

Power Door Locks

tootall2

Reaction score
City, State
Pennsylvania
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 sport
Hey guys, my power door lock on the drivers side door will stick sometimes. If I hit the remote to unlock the door the knob will not come up and the key will not unlock it either. I have to hit the unlock button a couple of times before it unlocks. If it still won't unlock I have to open the door from the inside which always unlocks it. This is very infrequent, but I'd like to have working properly. I hate being locked out of my truck! Any ideas?? Thanks!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

What about the other doors? The passenger side? Do these work properly?

I'm thinking it could possibly be the receiver for the remote, the relays, or the door lock actuator. If the passenger sides works fine, then I'd say it's the door lock itself.

Its unlikely that it has anything to do with the electrical side of things since the key doesn't work either. Tons of posts... either a spring problem, broken linkage or a "pure lack of lubrication".... try the lub (wd or your favorite equivalent) first then the "dismantle and fix".

The other door locks work fine. Its just the drivers side. This only happens intermittenly. I had the door panel off and was looking around in there. I didn't notice any broken linkages, or springs. In fact I didn't see any springs.

suggest you take off a working door panel and compare. I think there is a spring missing which holds things in place.

Just read your post...you may have to remove the inside door panel, but using a flashlight look at the door latch mechanism in detail. There is a VERY tiny spring that often breaks on older cars due to moisture rusting the spring. If the spring is broken the lock will work only intermittently. If that's the case, you may have to replace the entire latch...not real cheap...maybe $150+.

Back