• Register Today It's free!

Power rating of JBL speakers

bhults

Reaction score
City, State
Forked River, NJ
Year, Model & Trim Level
1995 Eddie Bauer
I've got the JBL stereo in my Eddie Bauer. I'm pretty picky about audio, but I've been pretty happy with what the JBL stereo with the sub has pumped out. Unfortunately, it doesn't have the power to keep me happy at highway speeds with the windows open. AND, I've only got a cassette deck, not the CD unit. Hence, I'm looking to upgrade.

My last ride had a pretty sweet system in it. It was also a Ford, and also had the JBL premium stereo in it. All components got swapped out for newer and better, but to save costs, we used the stock JBL speakers (but not the sub) and hooked them up to an 800W amp. The guy that did the work for me (who also happened to have the same car with the same JBL system) said the JBL's could handle the power that the amp would put out.

Does anyone know what the stock JBL's in our trucks are rated at--power wise? My plan would be to replace the HU, and the sub....add 2 amps, 2 subs, but keep the JBL speakers in the doors if possible (for the time being at least).

I just don't wanna overpower them, cause a fire, etc.

I had originally planned to drop about $3000 on a totally new system, but I bought a boat, so now I'd like to keep costs to around $1200. It doesn't have to be a slamming system, just more than what I got: nice clear highs, hard hitting lows, and a great listening experience even at highway speeds.

Any other suggestions are appreciated also...IE: what subs/amps have worked for YOU, how to keep it "stealth", etc.

Thx!

It's rated at 145 watts RMS, or 290 Watts peak. The head unit puts out 4X15 (4X30W @ peak), and a line-out to a dedicated subwoofer amp rated at 85 Watts (170 W peak).

Back