Power Steering HELP!!!

sirhk100

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
las vegas
Year, Model & Trim Level
'91
I posted this in explorer 911 but am barely getting any views so I'm trying this here......

The problem, virtually impossible to steer away from center but returns to center effortlessly. It also does have power steering when going straight from about 10 o-clock to 2 o-clock. That's all the sweep of the wheel I have untill I have to seriously use EVERYTHING I've got in my arms to turn it while moving. Sitting still the tires won't budge. I replaced the power steering pump with a re-man about 500 miles ago/2 months so I guess it could be a bad rebuild? When I'm FORCING it to turn it's not smooth, kinda grindy feel but that "could" be from the 33" tires and whatever is broke...

Is this the power steering or could it be the steering box? Does my explination make sense? Right now I'm starting with the pump cause I've done it before unless you guys tell me that it could be the box...

Thanks,
Khris

Perhaps it wasn't bled good when you changed the pump. I just changed my pump AND gearbox all at once. I had to drive for a couple weeks with no power steering and it sucked. My problem started from the gearbox leaking and I just let the pump take a crap too since it was 10 years old by running it dry. I could still steer, but it was hard, generally it would come back to center. All in all, I changed the box and pump for about $200 in parts and a good 5 hours of my time. I was very carful when I bled the system and used a synthetic oil. It is SOOOO quiet now and steers real easy. Don't know if that helps.
Maybe you could let us know if it is whining loud or if it sounds normal, that is one thing about Fords that everyone comments on how loud the powersteering is.

No, my old one whined bad and whined REALLY bad on it's final days. This one is quiet and still is quiet even when I'm forcing it to turn...

How do you bleed it? I thought you just topped it off and turned it back and forth a ton checking the level. I could've swore I'd read that somewhere. Is it possible that it's just got a bubble in the line?

I know about the pump, the pulley is the biatch on that... How's the box if I end up having to do it?

Come on guys, you seriously haven't had anything like this...

I'm thinking tomorrow before I tear into it I'll jack up the entire front and turn it without it running. If it turns freely then I guess that proves the steering box is good and if it's still hard to turn does that 100% mean the box is bad? Or could a clog in the pump cause that even off the ground? Just look for help diagnosing the problem...

Back