• Register Today It's free!

power steering pump whining!!!

ekafrawy

Reaction score
City, State
kingston,MA
Year, Model & Trim Level
94 XLT
I recently installed a new power steering pump in my 94 explorer and the pump has been whinning when i turn the wheel ever since. IS the air in the lines or something? How can i fix this? Thanks

Sounds like air. I've been told you can purge the air by turning the key on and doing a complete turning motion in both directions with the engine off. Someone here may know more. (Turning wheel to full turn in both directions.)

thanks I'll try that. Has anyone else had any experience with this problem?

Engine needs to be on.

Originally posted by ton_e_montana
Sounds like air. I've been told you can purge the air by turning the key on and doing a complete turning motion in both directions with the engine off. Someone here may know more. (Turning wheel to full turn in both directions.)

You need the engine on and then turn it lock to lock a few times.

If you are starting with a new or replacement pump, you can crank the engine to fill the pump and lines without the high rpm of the engine to reduce the amount of air in the lines(disconnect the coil pack).

My Ford FSM has the plans for a vacuum purging tool to make. I think the Ford dealers would have a more refined version(maybe not) if its still bad. You need a vacuum source outside of the engine, a rubber stiopper, and some tube and hose.

Back