power steering pumps

boggs1227

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Flowery Branch , Georgia, 1994 sport 2wd auto
Year, Model & Trim Level
2005 colorado 2wd 5spd
today i was hoseing down my engine and noticed the p/s pump looks like it may have sprung a leak ....i'm sure it's something simple like the pressure hose or the return hose a simple enough fix,but it got me to thinking ...this is the one from the factory and the trucks got 205k on it so i was thinking about looking into a replacement some time in near future.

i looked at advance ,auto zone and they had remanufactured units of course at around the same prices ( give or take $10-15 for the cheaper ones) ,but i went to look at napa .figureing that at least napa would sell new units or on the low end of the scale ....remanufactured units by napa ( still beter quality than advance or az ) but to my surprise the ones they sold were the same pictured ones that for example advance auto sells ! same pics same product description....same .

advance auto sells for a little cheaper than the napa units so would it be a good idea to get one from there instead from napa ?? i ALWAYS go to napa for all my accessory buys ( pumps/alt's/starters etc...) so i'm at a loss on this one ....has napa got crappier over the years or what :dunno: ?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

dont buy from autozone, i bought one and hours after it was installed it went bad. the only reason i bought there was i work there.

fair enough....if az sell anything like their dura-blast brake pads i'll think i'll pass on their pumps ( worst brake pads i have ever bought in my life ) .this did not really answer my question so i guess i'll go buy one from advance auto .... same unit as napa sells for less so i guess it's a no brainer.

try rock auto.. www.rockauto.com

you should have several choices to choose from, and the standard shipping from them is fed-ex home delivery (that means they deliver on SATURDAY if needed).

I have had good luck with them in the past. got several parts for my 92 ex, and just got a waterpump for my wifes 95 Sierra.

their customer service seems good too, the one time I had a problem with a part (RA bracket for the 92), they took care of me quickly, and I didn't even have to return the old part (the one I recieved 1st was missing the bolts to install it). the sent the replacement out on the next business day, and I was set to go.

Keep in mind that you will also need a puller to get the pulley off. AZ and adv auto will lend you a puller, but not if you buy the unit from someone else. Personally, I wouldn't replace the pump unless it's bad. As you initially stated the leak may be from one of the hoses.

ok good advice .....i'll check rock auto as well.i agree it would kinda be premature to replace the pump but the leak is on the return hose (on the back side of the pump and kinda hard to see everything fully) so it may be that but it also may be the tank leaking as well and is leaking onto the return hose and i just can't see it that good.

Keep in mind that you will also need a puller to get the pulley off. AZ and adv auto will lend you a puller, but not if you buy the unit from someone else. Personally, I wouldn't replace the pump unless it's bad. As you initially stated the leak may be from one of the hoses.

let me ask ... the puller, i never had to pull a p/s pump pully before but i have done harmonic balancers( and i do have a harmonic puller in my tool collection)...does it have to a special puller or could i use my 3 jaw gear pullerand or use the h/b puller and get the same effect ?

let me ask ... the puller, i never had to pull a p/s pump pully before but i have done harmonic balancers( and i do have a harmonic puller in my tool collection)...does it have to a special puller or could i use my 3 jaw gear pullerand or use the h/b puller and get the same effect ?

Nope, there's a special pulley puller for that, don't use your 3 jaw puller.

1. it won't work, and 2. you'll screw up the pulley, probably break it.

done....thanks... :thumbsup:

Yes, you need the right puller. The pulley is only plastic and if you don't use the correct puller you will bust the pulley.

both my local autobone and my local advance loan the tools.. and dont give a hoot if you buy the part (such as PS pump) from them..

afterall, you ARE putting a 100% deposit on the tool, that you get back when you return it.

and yes, the puller is special, get the right one, and the job is easy as hell.

Is there a how too, on here on how to do it

Power Steering Leaks

Have had a leak in my power steering unit on my 91 for a while and just got around to locating the culprit. I thought mine was coming from the low pressure side, it wasn't. The "o" rings on the high pressure line fitting that actually screws into the pump had become hard. As Ford and supply house told me that the fittings and "o" rings come as a one piece assembly I proceeded to go to NAPA where I found a helpful counter man that dug out the "o" ring box and we found the two that I needed. Best deal was "NO CHARGE" Went home and installed part and no more leak. NAPA man also informed me about the fitting on the end of the high pressure hose that does not require a tremondus amout of torque to tighten. Seems it has a spring loaded ferrule inside that will pop under to much torque. I would spray unit with degreaser and clean well, then start truck and wipe the fittings with a paper towell. That should show you the exact leak.

Back
Top Bottom