• Register Today It's free!

Power Window Cables 02

Anderman

Reaction score
City, State
Thornton, Colorado
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 XLT
Does anyone have pictures or instructions on reinstalling the power window cables for the passenger front door?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I need this info as well. Mine just broke last night. The little plastic piece that the cable hooks into broke. I am trying to figure out where it all goes.

Are these plastic pieces available somewhere?

Thanks

It is complete kit. You have to get it from the dealer. I think it was around 100. Once you get the door panel off it is easy how to see how to replace it.

My cable just broke and I broke the mounting point where the armrest attaches to the door. I didn't see anything that led me to believe there was a screw there. Mine broke when I rolled it down to give an 05+ GT a thumbs up for a friendly race and then I had to drive on the highway for 40 miles with the window down and it's 20 degrees out!!! I may just take it to the stealership and say fix it. I swear that whenever I get some extra money saved up, the Explorer breaks something and I have to spend the money to fix it. Sorry for the long post.

Well I just got mine fixed yesterday. $430 dollars!!! What I learned: Make time and fix it yourself! I was not a happy camper because I had put new tint on the front two months ago, then when I got it back after Ford fixing the window, there was a little nick in the tint where it was hit with a screwdriver. They tried to say they didn't do it, but I finally got them to pay for it. I will only take it to the shop if it is something I cannot do.

My dealer quoted $320 complete.

So with the help from the forum, I'm attempting the assembly replacement myself when the weather breaks here in MI.

Found new assembly for $89, I figure a Saturday afternoon should be enough time.

I bought the Doorman replacement part for $94 from a local Kragen Auto Parts. I haven't had time to install it. I just pushed the window up so the wife could drive it. I will try to get it fixed today if I have time.

It took me a while to find the screw behind the armrest. I was tugging on it for a while before I started disassembling the door panel more and found the screw. It sure comes off easy when all the screws are removed. I need to go and get some double-stick tape to get that insulator taped back on after I get the window fixed. It sure is loud driving the thing around with the door panel off.

need a cage, post back after you replace, even better take pix of the steps. I'll wait and see how you do and some tips we can use

I should have read this before I started because I have not taken any pics, but mine is not going well anyway. I finally had some time to work on it Friday. The original setup is riveted to the window so you have to drill out the rivets. That sucked but it wasn't too bad.

Getting the new assembly in the door panel is a major PITA and you have to put a lot of pressure on the window to get the upper studs through the holes in the door. That made me really nervous.

Anyway, I get the new setup in there and the holes don't line up with the tabs on the window. I had to elongate and enlarge the holes in both the window mount and the new assembly. I get it all bolted up and it struggles to move the window. It does okay in the middle (still slow), but at the very top and very bottom it barely moves. I am so pissed at this thing right now. I kept it connected but the door panel is still off. It doesn't feel like the window binds when I manually move it up and down but it must not be lined up correctly throughout the full travel of the window when connected to the new assembly. I am not sure what to do. I may see if Ford has a regulator assembly and try to return the Kragen part, but I modified it so they may not take it back.

I am starting to think $300 at the dealership would be worth it. I can't stand working in doors or under dashes! It doesn't help when I am cussing at it and my wife walks up and says you should have just paid someone to do it! Now I am stuck doing it myself so I better get it figured out!

Hey guys, I replaced both my passenger window units on my 02 about a month ago. The hard part for me was removing the rivet that holds the glass to the bracket. I found the easiest way was using a small air cutting tool (Harbor Frt special) and cutting/grinding the rivet in half. I did both sides in about 1 1/2 hours. Once you get the old parts out, hook the power back up and run the bottom bracket up to support the window where you can get to where the rivet goes back. I never used another rivet, just used a short bolt with a lock nut on the other side. Its worked fine ever since. Couldn't believe that both plastic pieces you talked about broke in a 2 week period. Everytime I roll the windows down in the front I'm waiting to here the plastic shatter again. One of Fords better ideas, at least the parts guy at the dealer said they've redesigned the thing about 4 times. Ended up costing me about 250 total for both sides.

Trailhand, I have a few questions.

Did you get the parts from Ford? Do you know what brand they are? Did it line up well with the window when you put it in? Does it roll up and down as well as the original?

I put a Doorman part in and it didn't line up well. I enlarged the holes so I could get it connected with short bolt and nut combo, but it can barely move the window.

Thanks,
Craig

I have 3 window not working because f this . I yelled at my wife the 1st one then the other 2 broke from me . It wasnt even that cold outside . This is BS!

Back