• Register Today It's free!

Power window issues.

jonscott1972

Reaction score
City, State
Sterling, CO
Year, Model & Trim Level
91 Ext. Aerostar
Hi all. I have a question about my drivers window. Neither window moves up or down from the switch on the drivers door. The passengers does from the switch on that door but not from the drivers. I have tried a different switch that came with our van and it did nothing. Is there a relay or something like that that i need to find or would it be the window motor maybe?? I changed the CB fuse in the fuse box. Any help would be great since its getting hot here in northeastern colorado.[/SIZE:salute:]

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Remove the kick panel on the driver's side, then the switch panel on the driver's door. Check each color coded wire from the switch to the end of the bulkhead connector for continuity. Sometimes the problem could be in the connection in the bulkhead connector. Check for bent or corroded pins.

Is that the one in the engine bay on the firewall? I had the door panel offand all the wires I could se looked ok but will go a little futher with my checking.

Ok I will look there or could it be the inline fuse that is for the power locks?

I found majority of times when driverside window switches are unable to get window motors to respond it's generally in switches themselves, not so much wiring or motor. So unless there's a reason wiring is bad, I chk switches first. However, I do not suggest buying/ trying new switches just to find out.

I spend a lot of time with Aeros, so I have switches lying around. They pop in & out of their holder once you unscrew it from door. So I unscrew a panel & take old switch out & pop a good used one in. If windows work again I simply replace switches with new or good used ones from U-Pull-It yard.

If you have a decent VOM take it with you & test all used switches before you buy them. I can't remember last time I had wiring or motor problems with FoMoCo power windows or power door locks. I'm not saying it doesn't ever happen, I'm saying it is not a common problem/ failure with Fords.

CIAO
FBp :rolleyes:

The driver's side switches are prone to failure. I replaced mine, which would not operated the passenger window, with a used one I ordered on Ebay. It worked great for 6 months. Then the driver's side window stopped working. Replaced the switch again with one from a U-Pull-it yard, so far, so good.

I've also had BOTH window motors sieze up at different times. The driver's was completely bad....put in a rebuilt one from O'Reilly's to fix the problem. The passenger side started working after I took it out, freed it up and lubed everything. Aerostar windows can be contrary.

Back