Power windows not working properly. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Power windows not working properly.

XedLos

Reaction score
City, State
Souther California
Year, Model & Trim Level
96 Sport
I have a 98 Aerostar and the Passenger window works fine from the switch on the passenger side. It moves up and down properly. But from the Driver Side the window some times works and some times it doesn't. So if im driving alone and want to turn the window up or down i ahve too lean over the passanger seat and do it. The wiondow works fine from the passanger switch but from the drivers side its as if it say "FU i dont want to work today". Sometimes it works just randomley or i have to turn the engin off and then try it. But it pretty much just works whenever it wants to.

Any ideas what it might be. Im pretty sure its the switch since everything is ok from the passanger side.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The Aerostar was only made until 97. Ford originally wanted to discontinue it in the end of 94, but due to popular demand it was made until 97. Ford didn't want to redesign the dashboard to add a passenger's side air bag, so they discontinued the whole van. Your window problem sounds like a defective switch.

windows not working

hi,

I would look at the wiring harness at the point where it goes out from the door, into the body hole.

I had a similar problema in my '92 but with the door locks.

Turned out to be 3 wires had cracked at the point where the harness makes a bend. Very bad wiring design, since the wires were not bent before being taped, so that when the harness is bent after being taped, it stresses the wires to the point of cracking them.

Start by removing the upholstery panel at the door. With ignition switch to ON, get your hand inside the door and start to move the wiring harnesses or squeeze the rubber neck from the door to the body, as you press the window switch, I think you will find the culprit in that area.

If the harnesses are fine, the switches are available at eBay for little money.

Jose A.

Suspect the switch. It is easy to replace. Take the two screws off the outer panel. Two more screws on the back release the switch assembly. Pull apart the switch module and push a new one in. You can get the new switch online for about $20-25 bucks.

I have a similar problem, my power windows aren't working! i have the door panel off, the fuse panel open, and the wires hanging... but still no luck. I was wondering if you had any experience with a 97 mountaineer? any help is apreciated thanks.

thanks for your reply

okay thanks ill check those areas first... and ill keep you guys posted on how im doing...:roll:

I have a similar problem, my power windows aren't working! i have the door panel off, the fuse panel open, and the wires hanging... but still no luck. I was wondering if you had any experience with a 97 mountaineer? any help is apreciated thanks.

Dont know the mountaineer, but on a A/star, problem more often than not it is the wiring harness where it exits the driver door & enters the body through the rubber boot. Pull the boot back & check for fractures in the wire harness.:cool:

thanks for your reply

yei checked that and everything was fine in the boot, but now im in seriuos trouble since my truck won't start.

Back