• Register Today It's free!

Powertrain/4x4 warning light?

edwx

Reaction score
City, State
Jacksonville, FL
Year, Model & Trim Level
2020 Ford Explorer XLT
I have an '06 xls 4.0L with 40k miles on it, and I was driving home from work yesterday morning and the small 'wrench' warning light illuminated. It stayed on until I got home and then I shut the vehicle off and restarted it and the light went off. I checked the owners manual and it stated that it was a powertrain or 4x4 problem. It hasn't come back on since and I'm hoping it was just a temporary thing. I was wondering if anyone else has had this happen yet and what possible problem I might be looking at down the road. The temperature was about zero yesterday am and it seems that if something goes wrong it's always when it's very cold. As soon as the weather warms up I'm going to change the differential and transfer case fluids. Any thoughts are appreciated.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Thanks for the link. Yes I think it's an ABS problem. The ABS light is setting the other 2. I had my rear ABS sensor replaced twice in my last '03 X until they got it right. Right now it's an intermittent problem in my '06. I called the dealer and they said wait a little while. I'm guessing there are 4 sensors, one for each wheel, on the '06's with the AdvanceTrak & RSC.

My 06 explorer power train 4x4 fault light came on while driving. Hasn't been on since. It was about 90 degrees out. Any thoughts?

Not sure, but my wife has a Chevy Colorado 2004, and she has had an intermittent abs light issue for years. So unless it stays on, I wouldn't worry about it

Back