Powertrax Problems

Jason_25

Elite Explorer<br>ECX Member
Reaction score
City, State
New Bern, NC
Year, Model & Trim Level
'95 Explorer "Expedition"
I recently purchased a Powertrax No Slip locker for my rearend, and did the install myself. Was a real pain, and took a while but me and a couple other guys got it done. The first time I drove it, it was making a terrible noise on turns, a banging sound of sorts. After about 300 miles, however this quickly went away. But when i put the truck in drive, and reverse it makes a loud thud coming from the rearend. I had someone watch as I do this, and my driveshaft makes about a three quarter turn before the wheels move and the thud happens. I've had it about 3000 miles now, and it's still doing it. This cant be normal. Please help guys.

Thanks,
Jason

Some increased driveline backlash is normal. How much exactly I dont know. Mine has some but its a mild clunk, and not really noticable when I drive.

Recheck the install since you had some problems. The manual has all of the checks at the rear. Use the gauge block, and check the tire action as described. May be u-joints also so you may want to take a look at them.

If your still not sure call Powertrax see what they say.

My NoSlip also has more backlash than the stock setup. I can put my Explorer in park and push/roll it back and forth three or so inches. Mine doesn't clunk, but I don't gun it off the line either. I could envision how you could stop on an incline, let out the three inches of "slack", and then hit the gas hard and feel (not necessarily hear) a clunk when the backlash played out. Mine also banged right after installation but only for four or so turns and then it settled right in.

How far can you roll it back and forth while it is in park? You sound like yours is more than mine. I second doing a check on your installation, it sounds like you had way too much trouble. Are you absolutely sure you got all the thrust washers out? Did you do the clearance check with the little go/nogo gauge block tool that came with the kit? The NoSlip install is one of the easiest locker installs available and should not have been a "pain" at all, unless you have never opened a diffy and didn't know what to expect. If it was a pain, then something wasn't done right, or the unit is defective. My mistake that lengthened my install was leaving one of the side thrust washers in. I had to back out the installation when the clearance go/nogo tool revealed my install was too tight. I then removed the thrust washer I had missed - it was tightly stuck to the carrier and that is why I first missed it - and reinstalled per the directions and it fit right in.

If it really took 300 miles to settle in and you get a definate metallic clunk sound (not just the feel of a couple of inches of backlash being taken up) then you've got a problem. The reason I mentioned my thrust washer problem and asked if you tested it with the go/nogo tool for correct installation is that it would be conceivable to leave a thrust washer in - they're only a few thousandths thick - and have too tight of a setup. Then it could take 300 miles to bang itself loose enough to disengage at which point it is loose enough to have excessive backlash.

Back