• Register Today It's free!

Prerunners?

BajaXplorer

Reaction score
City, State
San Marcos, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 XLT 2WD
Anyone on the list have there Explorers built into prerunners? I dont mean a light bar in front either..
Similar to Perry McNeils, but either 2/4WD..

Dsc_0081.jpg

Dsc_0478.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I'm hoping to buy one this week with the intention of building one. I want to do Coilovers up front and a nice set of either nationals or deavers int he rear w/resevoir shocks. I looked at Perry Mcneils cousins Explorer last week, it's in the SD autotrader right now. It was sick but way over priced and had a salvaged title. Do you have one? I see you're in Poway, I live up in Ramona. I'm looking at one out in El Cajon that is super nice but has a cheesy lift. I hoping for this one cause it's super clean and I should be able to build it up pretty fast.
Khris

hey there-
Yeah Im in Poway. Right now I have a Jeep Grand Cherokee 4x prerunner. Its for sale. I cant afford the gas and I've modded it as much as I can afford to.

I'm looking for a 96-97 Explorer with the V6, 2WD. Unmodded so I can do a buildup on my own.
I still need a SUV for the family so I thought an Explorer would be the next best one. The only thing I worry about is the A4LD auto trans since there a REAL weak point with the Explorer Ive been reading. I had one in my 88 2.9L Ranger prerunner and it didn't have any issues but I chnaged the fluid every 10K as well..
Theres no reason for a tranny to go out before 150K. I would imagine its either the heat or heavy foot/larger tires.??

PS Do you have the link to that Explorer in the trader.? I just want to see the pic

I think its the red,white & blue Sport?

bajazj@hotmail.com

I'm also in the process of starting the build up. I've went with McFerson Racing as well as Justin(perries son) on several runs and was very impressed with the way they perform. I'm going to talk with Justin some at Moab to see the price range and what is needed to get it going. I'll keep you posted.

i'm slowly working on making mine a full prerunner. Just between school, work, and woman the money isnt quite there at this moment. Plus with gas..OUCH. My plans for this summer are to get new glass for the front and the front bumper made. After that its to get new lengthend beams. My list is long and the worst part its all $$$$$$$$$

I have BIG plans for Splat once he's not a daily driver anymore. Until then, he's probably gonna get 31's with a slight TT and shackles and 3.73's in the rear end. He does pretty well with the stock tires and mostly stock suspension over fields and on dirt roads. I frequently go out to the camp where I work and buzz along at about 45 through the fields.

After I graduate med school though, I have huge plans. Splat's gonna get the biggest lift I can find, I'm gonna try to fit 35's. The roof will come off and be replaced by a full roll cage, probably double 2.5" steel tubes welded/bolted to the frame. Custom bumpers/ rock sliders, etc. Plus lots of other cool offroading goodies ;)

But, this is all after I graduate med school, which is at least 5 years away. If I can afford to buy myself another daily driver, my dad said he'd finance Splat's buildup if I did most of the work myself. But, that's also about the time that I'm gonna get hitched and maybe start to have kids, so we'll see........

Man...Alec you had to remind me of the hitched part. I'm already kinda seeing my priorities changing with the future. LOL. my friend and his dad and i have this thing we say...its kinda funny. "women......<spit>" I think its more of a visual thing. In any case its just a saying and if my gf heard that....hehe.

Keep it down on the dating front......PLEASE. :) I love my girl with all my heart, but with her in Ohio and me in Nevada it's putting a pain on my pocketbook. I've been looking into moving there which will put a hold on the build up, but make me happier. So we'll see.

I'm still going to start looking into a 4link suspension with coils on all 4, a new gas tank(to make it a true 4 link) a ford 9' in the rear, a full roll cage, and 4 point harnesses(nothing up my crotch). :)

We'll see what comes first. :)

I just looked a the autotrader page and it's not in there anymore. Maybe he sold it. It wasn't the red, white, and blue one but that one was sitting in the back yard and it had for sale on it. It was just like it though only it didn't have 30,000 offroad miles on it like the R,W,B one. The one I looked at was 4wd, 4"widended up front fiberglass all around really nice, I just didn't want to deal with a salvaged title. This house had too many toys there between the current race trucks, old race trucks, and dirt bikes, I thought I was in heaven. I know what you're saying about gas. I won't be selling my Civic anytime soon. I want a 1st generation Explorer w/I-Beams. I'm looking at a 92 out in El Cajon that's fully loaded, p/everything including seats, leather interior, sunroof. Cheesy pro crap lift with drop downs but that'll go away eventually. It's up on 33's so it looks nice now. I figure since it's already got the height I could put on the full fiberglass front and rear like Perry's and a prerunner bar to complete the look and be like every kid out there with the wanna be trucks. It'll probably be a year or so before I can afford to do the rest but I want to go with the McNeil Racing extended front end with Sway-a-Way dual rates up front. They claim this set up will get 18"s of usable travel, even in 4wd. The rear I want to keep simple, just a nice set of custom leafs with resevoir shocks. Probably a traction bar to for the few times I go to Glamis. I mostly hang out at Ocotillo Wells cause I like it better for dirt bikes. I'd also like to gear it and put a locker in the rear. A cage would be cool too. The trans scares me too but I'm thinking if I through in some sythetic stuff, add a cooled, and change it regularly hopefully it'll last. The guy with the one I want said he's run sythetic in it since day one so hopefully that'll help too.
Khris

McNeil's Explorer is back in the trader. Search on autotrader.com for a 94' explorer near a San Diego zip code like 92129. It'll probably be the most expensive one in there.

Back