Pressure gauge results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Pressure gauge results

cybrrmage

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
93 4x4
So I got my tranny gauge in the mail today and hooked it up. The transmission doesn't move so I know there is a problem I am just trying to understand the numbers.

At idle P N OD D 2 1 were all the same with no change whatsoever 65psi

Reverse was the only gear that posted a change at idle 70psi

At partial throttle the pressure in all gears would rise but would not hold at all, immediately dropping back down to what it was before I hit the gas no matter how long I held the higher RPMs.

When I blipped the throttle to about 3500 RPMs I got the following results

P N OD D 2 1 peaked around 200psi

Reverse peaked around 230psi

I'm not sure what would cause the transmission to not hold pressure in any gear. Any insight would be helpful. I would rather understand what is not working rather then just swap or rebuild the tranny and never know what the problem was.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

A leaking valve body gasket or a worn valve body could leak, and cause a loss of hydraulic pressure. Install Sonnax end plugs with O rings, and a high ratio boost valve with O rings. They make thicker than stock valve body gaskets for irregular valve bodies that are old.

Neutral safety switch. The plunger got bent slightly I think, it is stuck in the neutral/park position permanently.

You're the man!! I have been going through the motions trying to find another one.

Back