Diagnosing no reverse issue in A4LD pressure test results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Diagnosing no reverse issue in A4LD pressure test results

ragga

Reaction score
Greets again,

to recap I recently put my A4LD back in after my first attempt at rebuilding...
I had transfer case in a bind, so things were complicated...and the transfer case was leaking.... these were minor issues...removed the bind, looking for gasket for BW1354..if not will use permatex, reinstall to fix leak.

I dropped rear driveshaft, attached pressure guage to test port , and tested pressure in all gears. I also checked for movement of transfer case where rear shaft attaches in each gear. I tested each gear at idle, (idle seemed a little high), and at 2k rpm. These are my results:

P R N OD D 2 1
Idle pressure 180 190 175 160 160 170 170
2k rpm pressure 185 380(>220) 180 200 180 180 180
Movement N N N Y Y Y Y

Seemed like tons of pressure, reverse soared to 380 when I brought rpms up to 2k, but then started cycling, it would get to 380, then drop to 220, rise to 380 again, drop to 220....over and over.

I am thinking that since I had movement in man 1, it is not simply the low reverse servo, (I changed seals on this from rebuild kit..but the seals were just typical oring type, same as it had before rebuild)... but tommorow I guess I will drop pan, remove the servo, and inspect...see if I can verify that reverse band is still in place..I checked it by looking down beside intermediate assembly with a flashlight..before I reinstalled center support. It appeared OK..., and I put low reverse servo in to hold it , before I took trans off of stand , but when I went to install valve body with trans laying with pan side up, I had to remove servo, and reinstall on top of seperator plate.... I did not try to visullly confirm that band was still in place then....

If anyone has any advice or thoughts on this...any help would be greatly appreciated!

Respects,
Ragga

OK, dropped pan, removed low reverse servo... can see shiny dimpled spot on band, so I am thinking the band is now in the correct position, may have been before...or it could have shifted when I pulled servo.....prob not very likely I guess.... I don't know if the cycling of pressure I found is normal in reverse, (detailed in above post)..or if it indicates some kind of leak?

Also, don't know if high pressure is necessarily indicating that the clutch pack is functioning?

Guess I will verify that all valves in VB related to reverse appear to be functioning correctly...then I'll button it back up and re-test.... if that doesn't work I guess I will have to pull it back out, and check inside case.....

Respects,
Ragga

Ok,

Just to update...after reading more from Brooklyn Bays useful threads, and googling a bit on pressure results, it looks like all my pressure readings are very high...too high actually.

So I am going through valve body...picked up transgo jr shift kit today....will start on VB tommorow.... Been studying Glacier's thread and TnExplorer's thread on a4ld VB..(no pics on TnExplorer thread anymore?)...anyways I also borrowed a test plate just to be sure I am going to air test in veh with test plate also....has anyone ever used a 12v tire pump?...Looks like I can maybe use a spare tire valve butted against test ports on plate?...anyways after going through VB, I will air test clutches, bands, etc. and reinstall VB with proper torque and pray that all works well;-)

Respects,
Ragga

Back