Proper Rear Jacking procedure/location | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Proper Rear Jacking procedure/location

Icepick2010

Reaction score
City, State
So Cal
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 XLS
What's the recommended jacking procedure for jacking up the rear end of a 3rd Gen. Ford Explorer.

I plan on changing the front and rear brake pads and will start in the back. I have a floor jack and two jack stands. Is there a good rear center place to jack up to get both stands under each side at once? It doesn't seem like the rear diff. is a good place to jack from.

Is it safe to jack one side via the frame rail - place a jack stand - and then jack the other side with the opposite side resting on the placed jack stand?

Or I guess the third option is to just jack and work on and finish one side then lower and jack up the other side.

What methods do others here use?

Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I've used the rear differential as a jack poimt a number of times for brake work and tire rotation.
You could always use two bottle jacks at the wheels and raise them simultaneously.

DO NOT use floor jack on the differential (pumpkin). Differential is made of aluminum. Place jack saddle under the lower control arm, you can see where the lower part of the shock is bolted to. Raise high enough to place jack stands on the frame rails. Do one side at a time.

I use two jacks and get a buddy to lift the vehicle at the same time with me.

If nobody is around, I just use 2 jacks anyways, lift a little bit on One side, then run around to the other side and lift a little, and so on, until the vehicle is where I want it.

Then pop some jackstands under there.
(i normally use 6 to 8 jackstands and throw some very large oak tree stumps under various points of the the truck, JUST INCASE, that way I have 2 Back-up safety nets! Im super paranoid when I crawl under cars....)

I always lift the front first, then the rear, that's just the way I do it.

------------

But look in your owners manual(glove box), it has the Lift Points displayed in the manual.
If you look along the frame of your truck, in the front and rear, you will see "diamond" shapes, these are your Lift Points.

"jack one side via the frame rail - place a jack stand - and then jack the other side with the opposite side resting on the placed jack stand"

yep, doing it that way for years; then bought a second matching jack (make sure they are high enough), Two jacks make tire rotation easier. . .imo; always place the jack on the frame flat level spot and near a suspension point if you can. Block the wheel so it doesn't roll, and if your going to work on it put it on stands and leave the jack somewhat loaded.

Never use the diffs front or rear, its the old cast iron solid axles when it was ok but not these Alum's diffs,

Back