Proper tool to remove EGR tube?? Is it Metric, maybe???? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Proper tool to remove EGR tube?? Is it Metric, maybe????

Cheddar Dan

Reaction score
City, State
White Pine, TN
Year, Model & Trim Level
1994 XLT
Hey All!
What is the proper tool to use to remove EGR tube, please? Not sure I have anything that large, so I may have to purchase tool. Also, does anyone recall the size, please? (22mm, maybe??)

Currently pre-soaking threads with B'laster 16-PB Penetrating Catalyst in hopes of loosening them up for the weekend!

Best!

.cd

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

As I recall...and I assume you're talking about the bottom end of the tube...I needed two open ended wrenches, a 1" open end, and a 1 1/8" open end. Pretty long ones too. I went at them thru the driver's side wheel well for the bottom end of the EGR tube. One wrench holds the thing in place, the other is used to turn. It's a "plumber's type" fitting. I was able to do it without removing the splash shield, although there isn't much room to move the wrenches, it can be done.

Also, I had to use heat (MAP gas) to get the bottom end to break loose. Days of soaking with PB Blaster wouldn't do it. Have a cheater pipe handy.

BIG Thanks, Rhett!! Much appreciated!!

UPDATE: HA! Wrong EGR Valve type!!

The new EGR valve and tube arrived promptly from online seller.
....thought I would try the top nut that attaches directly to the EGR valve, sneak out the old EGR and leave the bottom tube nut et al for later. I discovered the top nut easily removable with crescent wrench (YAY!) ---moved everything out of the way and then grabbed the new EGR and noticed it has two extra holes the original EGR valve does NOT have. Hmm? Got online and found one entry about same issue in this forum. ...Sadly, my seller DID NOT include the tiny window cover plate and screw (or, whatever) is needed to close the EGR "extra" holes. Oh, well! Murphy strikes again! ....have contacted online seller....

Go to your local Napa. They have the correct EGR.

BWD part # EGR1186

Back