• Register Today It's free!

Pros and Cons to lower 01 ‘Sport

ArkansasExplore

Reaction score
City, State
Little Rock, AR
Year, Model & Trim Level
'01 Sport
I have an '01 stock Sport that is used daily for commuting. The commute is all highway and about 35 miles each way. I would like to lower the Sport to improve handling and feeling. Driving in stop and go traffic one second then 90 the next is not fun with a truck that sits this high. I lowered the truck 2 inches buy ujusting the torsion bolts to see how it would feel. The torsion bolts had to be backed out about 12 turns and now stick about 1 inch lower than the frame. I like the way it sits but need to know... should I flip the torson bars, leave it alone or put it back to stock? I realy don't want to shell out the $ for a kit. Is there a how-to for flipping the torson bars? If so where?

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

welcome to the site fellow Arkansan! (im in Texarkana).

1. you dont want to do the torsion adjuster flip. this is only done to make the truck lower than backing the bolts out will allow. the ride is about as unbearable as you could ever imagine.

2. dont even worry about a kit- there arent any. the only way to lower the front is by backing out the bolts like you did.

3. i would keep it lowered. remember, you now have to have the frontend aligned. also, think about using a lowering block on the rear to make it sit level.

4. if you want it to handle, www.explorerexpress.com has swaybars.

In other threads I have read about a canber or caster correction kit. Will I need one? What is the average cost?

Welcome!!:D

If you are worried about the t-bolts hanging low, I think they can just be removed. This would set the point at which you are lowest with the TT, and would just get the bolts out of the way.

Originally posted by ArkansasExplore
In other threads I have read about a canber or caster correction kit. Will I need one? What is the average cost?

I paid $200 for mine just to give you an idea. This includes the camber kit, installation, and the alignment. I've read members here paying as little as $100 for the same work.

Thanks for the information. I guess I will remove the bolts tomorow and see if it sinks any more. Sometime late next week I will take it in for an alignment. Next thing will most likly be a chip to squize a little more out of the gas.

Again thanks everyone for the information!

you will need the camber shims. ford part # F5TZ 3C203-A sold in pairs from the dealer. you need 2 pairs.
put them on yourself and save a ton of cash.
here is where they are located. take the stock ones off and slap on the new ones
Dead Link Removed
then get an allignment. wait till you get a coupon from the dealer or shop you normally go to. then do the lowering and you will save even more. you can lower your whole car for $100 if you plan it out.

Back