• Register Today It's free!

Prospective Aviator Buyer

eatpuppies

Reaction score
City, State
Troy, NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 XLT
I'm looking at buying an 03-05 Aviator to replace my 2000 explorer xlt. I was looking around at the prices on nicely equipped mountaineers and explorers and they're similar to the aviator though the Lincoln I've heard handles better and is a little quicker. Does anyone have any advice, comments, wisdom on any of these 3 vehicles. Also I just graduated from college and plan on moving around a fair amount in the next few years so I'm strongly leaning towards a Mercury or Lincoln so I can rent a u-haul trailer.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

As they are all on the same platform, its still unlikely U-Haul will rent a trailer.

All three are pretty much the same vehicle. The various trim levels will have minor differences as far as suspension, spring rate, etc, but for all intents they're the same vehicle sans, most Mountaineers and Aviators are AWD, whereas the Explorer is 4WD. The major difference is in the trim and detail treatment.

I've check with u-haul and they have no problem renting to mountaineers, so I don't see why they would care about an aviator. The paperwork just says in bold letters no explorers.

Also I'm wondering if anyone can comment on the following:
How effective the cooled seats are, do they actually work well or is it just like blowing ambient air through the seat?
I've heard the Audio/DVD/Nav system in aviators is very hard to modify since it's all tied together and that the Nav system is hard to upgrade (with new gps data). The Nav system also features the supposidly better audio upgrade so I'm wondering if it's worth getting the Nav or just keep the stock 6disc and use my garmin on long trips.

Also Since I'm planning on staying in the south for the foreseeable future AWD should be more than enough for my needs.

I just looked on various sites and you are right, my apologies. Pretty absurd none-the-less.

The Aviators are nice. I was considering it but wasn't a fan of the center console layout, and I had a deal for a Mounty but backed out bc of a pita salesman. Then I decided on the 4WD being a requiment, hence I got the EXp, but got a Limited which is pretty much loaded with everything (although no cooled seats).

Congrats on your graduation!!!

Engine specs for the 4.6 -

2002–2005 Ford Explorer/Mountaineer, 239 hp and 282 lb·ft - single overhead cam
2003–2005 Lincoln Aviator, 302 hp and 318 lb·ft - double overhead cam

A few years ago I looked at an 04 Aviator before buying an 04 Explorer, didn't want to go for the extra $4000 that they wanted for the Lincoln. But that extra 60+ hp would have been fun :)

As for comparison of handling between the two, (I was driving a Dodge minivan when I got the Explorer) - Both the Ex and the Av were so overwhelmingly fun to drive by comparison, I don't remember if the Aviator's suspension was noticeably better than the Explorer.

I never saw numbers, but there weren't many Aviators made compared to Explorers and you don't see too many for sale. It's a unique vehicle! If you can find one priced on par with an Ex or Mounty in similar condition, go for it!

I've been looking at a nicely equipped mountaineer vs explorer vs Lincoln and they are all around the same price though the Lincoln and mercury would avoid u-haul problems and I've heard the Aviator handles a little better with a little less road noise, though all 3 would be a step up from the 2000 xlt I had with it's 210 hp. I'm especially looking for commentary on the Nav/THX audio vs the standards 6cd changer, is the audio noticeably better in one vs the other?

The Aviator has the DOHC 32 valve engine - a sweet unit.

Also in my old explorer the AC was very good, almost overpowering, is it the same way in the gen 3 vehicles?

Also in my old explorer the AC was very good, almost overpowering, is it the same way in the gen 3 vehicles?

I'm gonna say no... (though technically Ive never even sat in an Aviator)
I have a 2nd Gen and a 3rd Gen.
The AC in my 2nd gen blows way more air in the vehicle.
My 3rd gen blows nice and cold, but It doesn't blow my hair around like the 2nd gen.
I also wear contacts, and the 2nd gen will make my eyes dry with the "wind" but not so in the 3rd gen.
On the 4th fan speed in the 3rd gen it seems like it makes a lot of noise for the amount of air coming out.

I'm not putting down the 3rd gen, cause I love it, but specific to AC, my 2nd gen does a much better job.

Something else to consider, Aviators require premium fuel so be prepared for the little extra $$$ at the pump

I almost got an Aviator instead of my Limited. I decided against it because of the really light interior color and four kids.

the avaitor yes may be a little more tricked out yes, but your going to shell out alot more on fuel first off. 2nd in general the vehicle costs more. 3rd the price of insurance will most likely be greater. 4th should the vehicle break, parts and labor may possibly cost more...

if you really want a " luxury " or nicer vehicle, I think it would be best to opt for a top end mounty, or limited explorer...

Do the Aviators have the POS air ride susp. system? My Bro-in-law was a Fork tech for a while and hates that stuff if so. They may be why they ride better, well until it breaks that is. The Aviator is a sweet ride though. I would like the cooled seats. THey didn't make them in the 4th gen. did they? That is really wierd about the uhaul Exp., Mounty, or the Lincoln. All the same ride. Well except the beefed up motor in the Lincoln. Sounds wierd to me.
STU

From what I've been looking at I haven't heard of any with the air suspension, it may have been an option but it doesn't look like a very popular one. There is no 4th gen, they only made them from 03-05 then started selling a crossover instead I think.

I have a 2nd Gen and a 3rd Gen.
The AC in my 2nd gen blows way more air in the vehicle.
My 3rd gen blows nice and cold, but It doesn't blow my hair around like the 2nd gen.
I'm not putting down the 3rd gen, cause I love it, but specific to AC, my 2nd gen does a much better job.

I have an '04 and a '97 and experience the exact same thing - had me wondering if the 04 had something partially blocking the AC or it needs a little R134 added. Louder fan, but less cold air in the 04. Maybe it's also partly because the 3rd gen has significantly more cabin space to cool.

Other than that, the 04 rides much smoother, handles better and gets at least 2 more MPG.

ill put it this way, the only reason i didnt buy an aviator instead of my 03 explorer, was i couldnt find any for sale up here, aviators are VERY rare, if you find one, nab it. its a great vehicle and is miles better than the explorer.. worth every penny, i dont think its THAT much faster, as all that extra luxary weights quite a bit.

I think it depends where you are. I see Aviators all the time here but have only seen one other Limited lately.

I've been looking at aviators and seen probably 5 within a reasonable drive from WI. The problem is that many have too many miles (I'm looking for under 75k) or are asking way to much. I've seen only 2 of about 8 that have the Nav/THX system thats why I was wondering if it's worth getting or if the system sounds about the same as the normal system. (I'm assuming the nav system is so outdated i'm better off using my garmin)

I've heard the Aviators have a ton of engine/transmission issues. I'm also looking at Navigators now since they are similarly priced. Any comments on those?

I think the Navigator is a whole other beast. Different engine and just HUGE! It might be difficult to manuever at times around town, shopping centers etc. If you really need the space, go for it, but I think a Gen III Explorer is plenty for you. It will also be very thirsty at the pump.

I would go with a V8 with a Class III hitch. I just picked mine up recently and it's an amazing truck compared to the Gen II's (I had a '97 SOHC). Handles so much better, larger steering turn, powerful and just so much smoother on the bumps and seems like it has a little more room.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I nearly got a Navigator as well. All the ones I found in SoCal were beat to hell, plus after having worked on my Expedition so much (and it having been a pain in the ass), I decided against it.

Back