Prospective Aviator Buyer | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Prospective Aviator Buyer

Eatpuppies, did you get an Aviator?? or Navigator? I bought an 05 Aviator about a year ago... and it hurts to say it, but its a golden turd. Literally. Its NOT just a spruced up Explorer like EVERYONE says. I would know, I have an 03 Explorer. They are night and day in every aspect- except where they start to rust (keep an eye on the pass side upper rocker). I've only put 15K miles on it. Had to do the 8 Coil Packs and plugs- and after I did it, it gets WORSE gas mileage. YOU NEED PREMIUM. I ONLY run it in 93... 91 is recommended but only a 2 cents per gallon diffference so its what an extra 2 bucks per fill? No biggie in the long run. Still, if you got to drive around town- you might average 13... I get 20 on the highway, but because I dont do enough highway I can only average 15 usually. Its a pretty loaded 05 with 135K on it for 6995 last year which I thought was a great deal. I currently need the following things... Blend door (800 at least and I dont know of anyone who can help to replace it)- it make horrible noises so im sure its going, torque converter i think is going- I can hear a screeching whine, power steeping pump we think is bad- its leaking but the fluid level is the same...?- tranny NEEDS a flush and to top it off every cold start it sounds like jingle bells are being played on the chain...Oh and I replaced a wheel bearing- because the truck purposely made itself immovable until it was fixed- binding gears etc, computer wouldn't let it drive- PER Ford dealer. Airbag light is on- flashed code 19 for a while. then stopped, now it flashes code 42. looked it up. ok should be a real easy fix. no. can't find a used one for an 05... roof airbags arent in the explorer or somthing goofy. Which leads me to this: MOST parts are NOT interchanable with the explorer. I love this truck. I hate this truck. My 03 Explorer in its whole 190k and going lifespan never has totaled this many problems. But the Aviator is pretty, its rides amazing, and has all the toys that I wish my explorer has... heated/AC seats, led lighting, etc... EVERY person that drives it or in it or see's it give me compliments... Get a bumper to bumper warranty with no deductable and you might be fine. If i could do it over again, I'd look for a different one... And one more thing on a personal note, this is my LAST black car ever. It was dirty inside when I got it- REAL dirty. So maybe thats some evidence that it was beaten on and not cared for like it should have been... All I could see was price... not to mention I detail cars on the weekends for fun and a lil extra $$. I just looked to see when this was posted... so by now im sure you got something...

As they are all on the same platform, its still unlikely U-Haul will rent a trailer.

All three are pretty much the same vehicle. The various trim levels will have minor differences as far as suspension, spring rate, etc, but for all intents they're the same vehicle sans, most Mountaineers and Aviators are AWD, whereas the Explorer is 4WD. The major difference is in the trim and detail treatment.

UHaul WILL rent to Mountaineers and Aviators. My buddy is in the Air Force and was getting stationed back home...from AZ to upstate NY. I took the week off to help him. I decided- hey, even though our tax dollars are paying for the trip- ill take my Explorer instead of the Aviator to get better gas mileage. Got 21mpg on way down to AZ, and 22 loaded up on the way back. When I got there we went to go get one- they said SORRY, NO EXPLORERS. I literally yelled at the UHaul guy for 30mins back and forth. They have it in bold print- NO FORD EXPLORERS. He said if we had a mountaineer or aviator he could. was I boiled. Flustered, we got back in my truck. One of the service guys ran out after us. He said he was a retiree from air force, and knowing that we were from the airforce he knew of a way around it. told us to come back after 5 and see some guy named dave. then gave us directions to a salvage yard, we picked up 2 mercury emblems and a mountaineer emblem. taped them over the ford explorer emblems and were on our way. guy apologised for the stupid rule and said to drop it off at the NY location at night.

Back