PSI for tires? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

PSI for tires?

I have the Pirelli Scorpions. I had them inflated to 32 psi. I figured that was a reasonable pressure. However, my rear tires are really worn unevenly. The middle is more worn than the edges. A classical sign of overinflation. What should I have the pressure at? I lowered it to 30 psi after rotating the tires. Should I go even lower, like 28 psi? Anyone know?

mine are at 29-30 psi, i say your good to go

Just put on my new GOODYEAR Wrangler RT/S's that replaced my FIRESTONE AT's (P255/70R16). Asked the Ford Dealership Service Manager (where the tires were mounted and balanced at) if all of the tires (spare included) had the correct amount of air pressure in them. He states "YEP, They're all OK. You're good to go". So I pull out my handy-dandy $1.99 "Throw in the glove box" tire pressure guage and they all read 22 PSI :( . So I tell the service manager. Service manager says "You're guage must be bad" :eek: . I say "Oh really? :rolleyes: , then check them with yours". They pull out their high performance-custom made-chromemoly-titanium coated $5,000 tire guage and guess what? Yep, they all read 22 PSI :mad: . Too bad I didn't have a camera, the look was priceless :D . Offered to put more air in the tires, but I told him no thanks, I'll drive the 10 miles home and do it myself cause you'll probably put an extra 50 PSI in them. They couldn't even get the spare tire up under the X correctly, it rattled all the way home. Since the MAX is 44 PSI, I'm starting out with 40 PSI. So remember, if you don't know for sure, double check your pressure.

Back