CodePoet

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Indianapolis, Indiana
Year, Model & Trim Level
1993 XLT
Related to my last thread...kinda

Any major issues with QA1 heim joints? I have read a number of threads at other places that mention nothing specifically negative. I don't really care if they wear out after a season or two, they are cheap enough to replace. I'm planning on doing my steering using 3/4 3/4 joints and maybe even the trac bar. Yea or Nea on the QA1's. Wife is asking what I want for my birthday:D

Heavy Duty Economy
http://www.jegs.com/i/QA1/122/CML12/10002/-1

**NOTE** (i'm tired of this question being diverted)
I know the pros and cons to running heims for your steering. Yes, I know about Chevy tre's (my original plan). Yes, I know that they will squeak when they get dirty and they will be more maintenance. I'm not looking for opinions on this point, just the overall quality of QA1 joints. If you would like to comment on heims vs. tre's feel free to start another thread. Thanks. :p:

I used to run something similar in design (for the panhard) -- one with the outer thinner body around the "eye" and that heim became loose after a few months. You shouldn't be able to freely spin the eye on a heim and with that heim, you could very easily do that and it had a noticeable amount of play (as in you could move the eye laterally just a bit). Needless to say, I replaced it with a beefier one from Ballistic Fab.

So my opinion: spend a bit of dough now for ones of a bit more quality -- instead of buying another set of heims further down the road.

One with thinner outer body around the eye:
heim_gatorade.jpg

One from Ballistic Fab with thicker body around the eye:
panhard_heim.jpg

mmmmm that's purdy

I would think that the trac bar would get alot of abuse so a better quality heim may be required. I can get FK Rod Ends down the road, I think in the 20 buck range. I may run a mix...not the best but i'm trying to get it on the trail for the least amount of money right now. Sucks I know...this thing has taken my garage up too long though.

Back