• Register Today It's free!

QUESTION ABOUT 2000 LIFT KIT

wolfpac93

Reaction score
City, State
walnut creek, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 XLT
I hve a 2000 XLT and was wondering if anybody knew a good 3"-4" suspension lift. I was also wondering if it is wise to add a body lift onto it, but I heard that body lifts are more of a hassle and dont have many benefits. If anybody could help me out w/ these questions I would appreciate it.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Welcome to the sight! I have a 2000 too. If I am correct, there are no lift kits for our year explorer. There are some for rangers which people have modified to work for their explorers. You best bet is to start out with the 2" torsion twist/ shackle lift. Will cost you a total of about $55 and take 1-2 hours to do.

Hope this helps
Grant-P

I do believe Traimaster has a 4" suspension lift for newer X ('98-'01) but it's rather expensive.

Trailmaster does have the 4" suspension lift for '98-'01 Explorers. It retails for about $1300. A body lift for a '98 Ranger can be easily modified to work. It runs about $130.

The differences between the two are that with the body lift you are only lifting the body (duh) so none of the suspension components will go up. It will give you room for larger tires and improve your approach and departure angles by having the bumpers higher (assuming you lift them too). Fortunately, the Explorer's frame is tucked up there much better than other vehicles that I have seen body lifts on (Chevy S-10 comes to mind). Even with a 3" body lift on my '97 you can't see the frame unless you get down on your knees. One advantage to a body lift is that since the suspension components stay in their original location the center of gravity isn't as affected as it is with a suspension lift. It can be put on by two people in a weekend.

With a suspension lift, you are lifting the suspension with the body attached (again duh). It will also give you room for larger tires however unless something limits your upward travel your tire could conceivably hit under full compression. I am not familiar enough with the Trailmaster kit to know if that would happen or not. Also, it doesn't appear that you get any more ground clearance under the front suspension than stock since the kit uses a large drop down bracket that goes under your current suspension. It basically lowers the mounting points of your control arms. I'm not sure what the kit uses to raise the rear. An advantage to the suspension lift is that you don't have to mess with relocating your radiator, parking brake cable, and bumpers. You also probably get more suspension travel (up to the limits of your bumpstops or fenders, whichever hits first). I don't know how long it takes to do a suspension lift in your garage, probably a weekend or so. You would probably have to have an alignment done afterwards.

I have the trail master 4" lift its great i have way more clearance underneath, skyjacker and super lift also make lifts for our explorers

Hey Yeti, on the 4 wheel parts wholesalers' site, it says that a front driveshaft might be needed. Was it needed in your case. Any problems with the install? Did you do it yourself or have a shop do it? As much detail about the kit and install would be greatly appreciated.

You also mention that skyjacker and superlift make kits. It is not mentioned in the skyjacker site and superlift has been lagging. Do you have any news about these lifts?

Thanks,
R

Lift

Yes superlift has a kit for these years. STAY AWAY from Trailmaster. Get the superlift. Do a search on stedex's superlift. It turned out very nice.

I have had a ton of driveshaft problems. Also rack and pinon and stearing knuckle.

Not worth it!

hey R yes my lift required a front driveshaft it has to do with the type of joint your driveshaft has, it may not be able to be lengthened. Apparently under extreme articulation your drive shaft may pop out. I paid 650 canadian for one not the trail master one. I had a shop install the lift for me it required 2 days. The only problem i encountered was a leaky front diff which cost 50$ for a new seal and stiff steering which the shop took care of free of charge. The lift is only 3 mo's old so well see, right now everything is tickity boo.

I researched the other lifts within this forum and found as with all things some people hate some lifts while others love em thats for you to decide. These lifts are fairly new so you probably have to phone the companys themselves. The kit comes with everything including all shocks. hope that helps.

check out the link what suspension kit are you running page 2 thats just one page in here among others where everbody hates their lift and like someone elses. Thats life right? Im only running 285 75 16 that must be cosiderably easier on my rack than 35's.

Yeti

How can your shaft pop out? It is a solid front diff and does not move. I was told that and has I have found that there is some vibrations because the angle is to much for the short wheel base.

With super lift the front diff is angled up diff than the TM kit. It also uses new converted stearin knuckles not an extension. I also very much like the way they did the stearing itself. no rack attachments.

I have no problems with vibrations at all, even at 75 mph + Im not too sure where the driveshaft pops out of, pretty sure thats what trailmaster and some other people have said. Do you not need to extend yer driveshaft on all lifts? this was the other problem ours are not extendable.

Although I have heard good things about superlifts knuckles I've also heard complaints about their strength. How do you know when yer rack is breaking? my truck still steers the same as when i drove it off the lot.

TM LIFT

No you don't "Need to Lenghten the drive shaft on all lifts" but depneding on the lift and what you plan on doing it may be a good idea.

Lets face it how many people in brand new chevy have passeed you laughing but you and I know that thier truck probobly never see dirt except parking in the grass. Or how many Waldoch conv. have you seen on the trails?

I did however extend me drive shaft 1" and took care of the problems with the drive shaft. I do know for a fact that th angle that the TM kit gives you is very bad for X-SPORTS 2DR. If you have the 4 DR its a longer wheelbase so you don't have to worry.

My rack blew out both seals and i am leaking like I spout!

Check out my rack and pinon post. in "Susp"

Hey Yeti and Gage, thanks for the info.

Gage, you mention that Superlift has a lift, but i don't see it on their site or on 4 wheel parts'. I called them about 2 months ago and they said that they would have one out in July. Do you know which shops have it or where to get it. I'll also call Superlift this week to find out more info.

Thanks,
R

TarHeel085

No, my tires never came close to my front bumpers. They rubbed at the back of my wheel wells, when turning the wheel. The edge of the tire would clip a piece of plastic as it went by. Once I cut the small piece of plastic off, it no longer rubs. My tires do rub on my sway bars at full lock. No amount of body lift will prevent that. If I ever decide to get different rims, I'll look for some with about an inch less backspacing.

It seems that the Explorers newer than my '97 seem to have the rubbing in front of the front tire, whereas '97s seem to rub at the back. Either place is easily fixed.

I am new to this site. I have been searching the posts and learning lots of great information. However I do have a question. I have a 2000 XLT Full time 4 and I am looking to do a body lift. I am wanting to but bigger tires on it and I am looking for any one that has done this and has had good sucess. If there is anyone out there with and good information I would be greatly honored if they would share thier vast knowledge of the X with me! :D

Welcome

Hey Perrin welcome to the site. I for one might have a used trailmaster front kit for sale soon. I have just went through my third rack and pinon and good hold trail master is sitting on my email untill they fell like getting to it. Its only been two weeks, trail master can't get to you sooner in my exp. I for one will be going to the superlift kit soon.

Isn't the Trailmasters kit a supension kit? I am really looking for a Body lift. (If it is Made) All i am looking for is the extra 2-3 inches so that i can add some bigger tires on it.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

BL

Yep you have to get one for an 91-94 body style "X" ot a ranger. nothing for 95 and up. you will have to fab up bumper brackets for it.

Back