Question about brake pad clips

Abba

Reaction score
City, State
South River, NJ
Year, Model & Trim Level
91 Explorer
Good afternoon guys.
I have a question about the clip that goes on the back brake pad. I'm changing my pads and calipers today, and for the life of me I can't figure out how to get the damn clip to go back on the inside brake pad.
As I'm sure you know, the inside pad slides in to the rotor assembly area, then the caliper slides on top of it with the outside pad already clipped on it.

My question is two fold: First, is that clip really that important, and second, if it is, can anyone show me where it's supposed to go?
When I took the caliper off, the existing inside pad fell out with the clip so I didn't have a chance to see how it fit in there.

Oh, and I'm working on the front brakes, pass side. Just got a brand new caliper, new pads, and it's currently up on the jack with the wheel off.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks tons guys. Hopefully I can lock this baby up before I lose this short window of relatively decent weather.

Abe

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Well if im getting your question understood correctly, you put the inside pad into the slots on the rotor assambly and the outer pad goes on the caliper. You know that it seems. Well that pad simply clips on its pretty self explanitory, the clip will go in the slot on the caliper and clip on the outside. I sometimes use a screwdriver just to pull the clip back far enough to fit on. If that doesnt help then i would suggest maby looking at the other side?

I have a question about the clip that goes on the back brake pad. I'm changing my pads and calipers today, and for the life of me I can't figure out how to get the damn clip to go back on the inside brake pad.
As I'm sure you know, the inside pad slides in to the rotor assembly area, then the caliper slides on top of it with the outside pad already clipped on it.

My question is two fold: First, is that clip really that important, and second, if it is, can anyone show me where it's supposed to go?
When I took the caliper off, the existing inside pad fell out with the clip so I didn't have a chance to see how it fit in there.

Abe

I think you may be talking about the anti-rattle clip. It is a small clip on piece of metal which is about an inch in size. If so it clips on to the lower end of the inner lining. I believe that it's purpose is to help stop brake pad chatter.
It clips on flat piece to side with lining on it and the rounded end clipped to the back. The flat spring piece will be facing out. When you install it on the assembly the clip end goes on first then push down and slide in the top.
Let us know if you get it fixed,

Thanks guys. I wish there was an image. As soon as I take the caliper off the stupid thing falls out before I have a chance to see where it went.
Again, thanks for the help though.

I left mine because I couldn't get the damn thing to stay on. I've been driving without them for years.

Thanks guys. I wish there was an image. As soon as I take the caliper off the stupid thing falls out before I have a chance to see where it went.
Again, thanks for the help though.

Your wish, This is the best I could do. We no longer have our 91 so I could not take photos for you. This is out of one of the repair manuals.
Hope it helps.:salute:

Attachments

• scan0004a.jpg
    scan0004a.jpg
    65.6 KB · Views: 1,481

That pic helped me in 2018

Thank you!!!

That pic helped me in 2018

Thank you!!!
Yes thank you! I have owned my 91 Ranger just about a year now. I replaced both rotors, calipers and pads. I got these "clips" and for the life of me could not VISION a home for them! I have been going online and trying different sites 4 months to no avail. Game today I found this post and your replies which included a picture. VICTORY LOL! My new ceramic pads came in this morning and tomorrow I will install them thank you people, thank you for asking the question and thank you for answering the question. Oh and thanks for the picture 🤓👍

Back