Question for the Warrior Twisting Lifters | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Question for the Warrior Twisting Lifters

Andy97XLT

Reaction score
City, State
Kensington, Maryland
Year, Model & Trim Level
'97 Frankenstein XLT
I might Warrior Twist my ’97 XLT V6 OHC 4Dr 4x4 pretty soon but have some last minute questions concerning both ends of the lift.
1. I was thinking about replacing my current torsion bars (D rated I think) with stiffer ones but doubt it because the lift is supposed to stiffen up the ride anyway. What do you think?
2. What length shackles do I need for 2.5 of lift in the rear?
3. Where can I get Warrior shackles and about how much do they run?
4. (Yes I know this is a stupid question but) Do the shackles replace the stock ones or do they bolt in- between the stock shackles and leaf pack?
5. I got the torsion procedure from Andrew Brylic so I have a pretty good idea on how to do that
6. Do I need to get shocks with more travel for the increased lift?
PLEASE ADD ANY ADDITIONAL IDEAS/SUGGESTIONS.
-Much thanks,
Andy

The first thing you should do is a search of the forum on "torsion bar" and this will probably answer all your questions, but I'll try and help.

1) The reason why you'd switch to the B bars is to get more lift since the D ones (which I have) will setle. I kept my D bars because after setling I carncked them all the way and they gave me about 2.75" lift, which is the max you want to get without damaging your front end CVs (if you have 4x4, if you don't then you don't care, and go for the B coded bars and cranck them all the way) I did not get much of a difference on stiffness by carncking mine. One last thing, since yours is a 4 door, yours may setle more than my 2 dr. I'm not sure about this though.

2,3 & 4 Get the shackles from Dessert Rat 800-528-3402, and tell them you want the Custom warrior shackles for Explorers, they should know what you are talking about. Should be about $46 or so. They meassure 8.5" from hole to hole, and yes they replace the stock ones.

6. The shocks are OK, don't need to change them, unless you wish to improve your ride, which I did and got Edelbrocks (standard models for my '97 Explrer) The lift is not that much to affect the shocks. However if you plan getting the Trailmaster lift later on, don't waste money on shocks now 'cause you will have to change them then.

Good luck, and enjoy!!

------------------
Juan Felsmann
'97 Sport 4WD 5spd
Warrior Twist
http://www.explorer4x4.com/thaven_juan.jpg

Dude, Juan, you rock!
Thank you so much! I think I'm going to do the twist and tackle the shackle in about 2 weeks! I'll post before and after pics!

Back