Question for those with proximity entry/push button start. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Question for those with proximity entry/push button start.

drober30

Reaction score
City, State
Grand Blanc, MI
Year, Model & Trim Level
2011 Limited 302A
When your Explorer is locked and you have your key in your pocket, if you push the liftgate button, does the liftgate open or do you have to unlock your vehicle first?

I thought I used to be able to walk up to the vehicle even if it was locked and push the liftgate button and it would open. After getting it back from the body shop after they repaired/replaced my rear rear liftgate, I have to unlock my vehicle first before the button on the liftgate will work.

If yours does open when your doors are locked, I wonder if there is a different part/sensor in the liftgate for the limited than the XLT?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have the ltd and with all doors locked i just press fob rear door opener and it opens with all other doors closed or just press the door button and it opens !!

When your Explorer is locked and you have your key in your pocket, if you push the liftgate button, does the liftgate open or do you have to unlock your vehicle first?

I thought I used to be able to walk up to the vehicle even if it was locked and push the liftgate button and it would open. After getting it back from the body shop after they repaired/replaced my rear rear liftgate, I have to unlock my vehicle first before the button on the liftgate will work.

If yours does open when your doors are locked, I wonder if there is a different part/sensor in the liftgate for the limited than the XLT?
On my Limited, you can open the liftgate with the button even if the vehicle is locked. When the gate closes, it automatically locks again. Not sure why the XLT should be any different. It may have to be reset, especially if the body shop may have disconnected the battery. The Owner's Manual shows the procedure to follow to reset the liftgate.

It will work the same as Limited power lift gate. I'd have it checked again.

On my Limited, you can open the liftgate with the button even if the vehicle is locked. When the gate closes, it automatically locks again.

I have the limited too and I thought I remember it working as your does.

After getting it back from the body shop, I have to unlock the doors before the liftgate will open when trying to use the button on the liftgate.

I should have said intelligent access ( not proximity entry) because intelligent access is standard on the Limited, when you have the key in your pocket and press the button that's on the liftgate, the system will allow the liftgate to open.

On an XLT, I would think you need to unlock the vehicle first because it does not have intelligent access. If that has anything to do with a different part in the liftgate, I don't know.

I will reference the manual for the reset procedure.

Thanks for the replies!

OK... I refrenced the manual and there was my answer:

To power open the liftgate with outside liftgate control button:
1. Unlock the liftgate with the transmitter or power door unlock control. If the intelligent access transmitter (if equipped) is within 3 feet (1 meter) of the liftgate, the liftgate will unlock when you press the liftgate release button.

I will have to have this looked at.

Maybe something in the vehicle settings tat you need to change.

Maybe something in the vehicle settings tat you need to change.

The only setting I see is on/off for the power liftgate.

I guess I will have to let the dealer know it's not working as designed.

The only setting I see is on/off for the power liftgate.

I guess I will have to let the dealer know it's not working as designed.
Did you try the Resetting the power liftgate procedure?

The manual states; The power liftgate may not operate properly and may need to be reset if any of the following conditions occur:
1. a low voltage or dead battery
2. disconected battery
3. the liftgate is manually closed and left ajar (unlatched)

It then describes how to carry out the reset.
(Make sure the liftgate system is set to ON in the message center.)

1. Disconnect battery for 20 seconds and the reconnect
2. Manually close and fully latch the liftgate
3. Power open t he liftgate by using the transmitter, or the instrument panel control button.

If that doesn't do it I guess your on the way to having a coffee with the service department!

Peter

Back