2018 Explorer Sport liftgate won’t open with my foot when the vehicle is unlocked. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2018 Explorer Sport liftgate won’t open with my foot when the vehicle is unlocked.

Wendi20

Reaction score
City, State
Lawrence, KS
Year, Model & Trim Level
2018 Ford Explorer Sport
The liftgate won’t open with my foot when the vehicle is unlocked. It works when it is locked. The liftgate is enabled on settings. How can I fix this?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Welcome to the site !!

This was happening to my wife. I am not sure if it was locked though. I think she was
standing to close to the liftgate. Now she will put her foot under the bumper and backup
and it opens no problem. Not sure if the same things is happening to you,

Try it and see if that will work.

Thank you. I stood in the same place trying to open it. It opened of the suv was locked, but wouldn’t of it was unlocked . Thanks for the help though.

If you have the trailer/towing package you need to go offset of the centerline. Hope this helps but check the bottom of the rear bumper fascia. The sensors are there should be three or four on each side.

There is also a setting in the procedure in the owners manual that you can open the liftgate to a pre determined setting not quite all the way. I find this helpful with my garage door it doesn't quite hit the door frame but comes close. I have my liftgate set to 3/4 open instead of full to provide a cushion.

I just checked mine I have the tow package and there are six sensors. Three on each side of the trailer hitch receiver, literally in between the two exhaust tips. I do know that it doesn't seem to recognize inclines especially the major inclines of Texas driveways. I am not sure if the NON TOW packages have seven but the owners manual says use the centerline so my guess is yes.

If the 2018 is the same as the 2017, the Tow Package was standard on the Sport and Platinum.

Peter

The liftgate won’t open with my foot when the vehicle is unlocked. It works when it is locked. The liftgate is enabled on settings. How can I fix this?
Welcome to the Forum.:wave:
I don't recall this particular issue coming up before. Since you've been able to activate it when it is locked you must be doing it correctly. Have the dealer check it out. I don't think there is anything else you can do.

Pete

Thank you all for the help. I am aware of the sensors, and yes I have the tow pkg. Pete, you are correct. I am able to get it to work every time as long as it is locked. Going to call the dealer.
Thanks again,
Wendi

Back