Question on 2002 Explorer with Sport Package | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Question on 2002 Explorer with Sport Package

Reaction score
City, State
Carthage, Tennessee
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Eddie Bauer
I am replacing the tie rod ends and some other parts on my Exp. Turns out that the outer tie rod ends did not fit. When I ordered the parts from Rock Auto, they had 2 sets of outer tie rod ends; 1 with the Sport Package and 1 without the Sport Package. I really don't know the difference, nothing I know of indicates it has the Sport Package, but the parts did not fit. I will now have to reorder.

Does anyone know what the Sport Package was on the '02?

All I know mine is:
2002 Explorer 4d Eddie Bauer
V8 engine
4wd
It has the larger trailer hitch and connector

Thanks for any help,

You should be able to get a full refund including shipping if they said it fit your car... if you bought sport tie rods, then you're probably stuck eating the $8 you paid for them.

in 2002, "sport" was not a package as it is on the current edition, but rather a designator of the 2-door variant.

Key differences are that starting in 2002, the 2-door and sport trac (quad cab pickup) were built on the old ranger frame with independent front and solid axle/leaf rear suspension, but the 4-door SUVs were all built on a 4-wheel independent 4-wheel coilover suspension.

Sport and Sport Trac had a lot of parts/design elements in common with the Ranger until the Sport was discontinued in 2003 and the Sport Trac moved to the 4-door platform in 2006

Usually when a system says 'sport package' aka (NBX,) it's indicating that you have the 17" wheels. My '04 is considered a 'Sport or NBX,' (definitely not the NBX.) It's an XLT with cloth interior, 2" receiver, 17" wheels and the V8.

Then, as mentioned, there is the Explorer Sport that we all know to be the 2dr. Why the term 'sport' was used with the 4dr is beyond me as it just adds confusion.

Thanks for the 2 replies, Rock Auto has agreed to refund the full costs and pay for return shipping. They could not explain why the parts did not fit.

Back