Question Regarding Interior Light & Battery Drain | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Question Regarding Interior Light & Battery Drain

ANHEDONIC

Reaction score
City, State
New Jersey
Year, Model & Trim Level
'04 XLT Sport
I have a 2004 Explorer and one of the overhead interior lights (just above the dashboard area) that you click on manually has blown out. Since it's blown out I cannot tell if the switch/button is in the ON or OFF position. My question is if the light is blown out, and the switch/button is in the ON position, could this be draining my battery when the engine is off? Does power still run to the light even when the bulb has blown out?

The reason I'm asking is that my battery kept dying on me over the winter and I replaced it earlier this year with a brand new battery, things were fine for awhile but last week my car sat for 3 days and I come to find out the battery was completely dead when I went to start it. Something is draining my battery and I'm trying to find out exactly what's going on.

Thanks for your help.

If the bulb is burned out then it doesn't matter what position the switch is in, there is no load and therefore the position of the switch cannot be draining the battery.

Since you have the weird beeping when opening your door, my guess would be that is alarm related.

Back