Quick Question About Seats | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Quick Question About Seats

Dweano

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1996 ford Ranger
Hey guys.

I actually have a Ranger but I am swapping seats in from a 1997 Ford Explorer Eddie Bauer Edition.

I want to get some Coverking seat covers but they do not have the ones I want for a 1997 Ford Explorer Eddie Bauer.

BUT they do have them for the Sport Model. I do not know a ton about Explorers but I would think they would be quite similar. Does anyone know if the seats are actually different? Pictures? Thanks guys

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

It depends on what seats you have, and what style they are referring to in the Sports.

the EB could have this style, not sure if the Sport was offered with it (notice the adjustable bolsters and thigh support):

20130907_155625.jpg

There was this style too, looks similar, but without the adjustable bolster and thigh support:

120002-pf-seats.jpg

Then there's the manual seats, which definitely was available on Sports, probably not the EB:

95_01_ford_explorer_tan_cloth_seats_100027849638770640.jpg

Then there were these, which IMO are the best (most comfy) but were offered in later years only, i think:

1998FordExplorerXLT190SteeringWheelDashFrontSeats.jpg

I'm looking at potentially replacing the seats in my '98 as their support is practically toast, so those pics are very helpful - love this forum!

Will all of them fit into my truck? I know I have to stick with manually adjustable seats (or I don't want to deal with adding power seat functionality), but was just curious if anyone knew the limitations on what would be directly transferable. (Stick with Explorers, Fords, what years, etc...) or is there somewhere you can find compatibility charts or something? Thanks!

I've replaced the seats in 3 Explorers now (don't ask why), they are all interchangeable. They all have the same mount points (4 floor mounted bolts) and a single torx bolt for the seat belt attachment.

For power seats, you would obviously have to supply +12v power and ground to allow the power functions to work. I did this on my 2000 Sport with manual seats (also a stickshift) and everything works like it should.

The later year power seats use a star-shaped wheel to adjust lumbar instead of a power inflated lumbar cushion. The later system works better since its simpler, the early power inflated ones tend to leak. The fabric is also more attractive, and softer too.

Some of these later seats, on the passenger side, use a manual track and therefore don't require a +12v hookup - potentially helpful so you only have to run power on the driver's side.

I think the first gen seats are also compatible (1991-1994) although I can't confirm this.

I've gotten three sets of seats from the local pull-a-part. Most of them in the yard are torn up but occasionally you get lucky and find a nice set that still has good foam and fabric.

Thanks for the quick reply. That's good to know, sounds like I gotta make a trip to the pick n pull. I'm less concerned with the fabric as I can always get seat covers, more concerned with the support.

Anyone put seats from another car/truck/SUV in an Ex? In case the pick n pull doesn't have any decent Explorer seats.

Other than Rangers and Mountaineers (both which are direct bolt ins), I don't know of any that are easily swappable.

Adding a power seat is easy too. Most controls are contained on the seat itself so all you have to do is run power to the new seat. I did it in my 95.

Whoa!! Email notifications were going to my junk mail. Thanks guys this is helpful! I was at my parents farm this weekend and forgot to take a picture of the seats or even look at them!!! Doh!! I believe they were the top picture (the one no longer appearing) they were snazzy with support everywhere haha

Here is the ones I have

image-7.jpg

On autoanything they don't make you put in a submodel (like EB or Sport) they just make you pick seat type. The closest I think is "Sport, with built in headrest, with power lumbar"

What does THAT seat actually look like? Closest match?

Back