A4LD Governor Replacement | Page 7 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

A4LD Governor Replacement

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

BrooklynBay, Is there any way to give a complete list of parts needed to replace the governor of a 93 a4ld transmission, including the aftermarket spring. Thanks

Which governor?

I just wanted to add an exploded view of the governor from Glacier991's photo gallery:
15286DSCN4560_1_1.jpg

I see that this valve has two grooves. I have a 93 explorer, will it also have two grooves? there are different choices and I don't want to order the wrong one.

There is an aftermarket spring from Superior, and an aftermarket weight from Sonnax. You have to see how many grooves the present governor has in order to know what you will need for a replacement governor.

This is a tired thread, I know, but does anyone know if there is a kit with all the GOV parts included? I really don't want to order 3 different parts from 3 different websites. The aftermarket spring, is it a specific spring or can I find a similar one that simply fits?

Thanks for any help.

In 2018, doesanyone have access to a new A4LD Governor or its pieces parts (new) to purchase separately??
Please let me know...
I have a 1994 2WD Ford Explorer 4.0L.
It has the classic 1-2 shift RPM flair...
-
Transman304 was very helpful and walk me through the steps trying to help diagnose the problem...
But no luck with the finding a Governor through his sources...
I hope someone can help.

Take a look at post number 127 which is before your post for a link to purchase one.
-
BrooklynBay,
I apologize for asking a newbie question...
But, how do I identeify what the post number 127 is?
I don't see an ID number on the posts.
Thanks

Here you go Mark.
41D57EFF-8235-4433-871A-F1ED6F76CD66.jpeg
0FF6E979-6785-43B6-A529-B025675ADBE9.jpeg

This is certainly resurrecting an old thread! I'll be forever grateful to anyone who sheds a light on my problem. My '93 Ranger pickup has a newly rebuilt A4LD on its 2.3 liter 4 cyl. It shifts at 35 from 1 to 2 and at 45 to 3 and then almost immediately into OD. The warmer it gets the better it performs. From a stop it is very sluggish til it gets to around 15 mph...if I drop it manually into 1 instead at a stop, it goes to a gear I ONLY get when shifting manually, and is not a bit sluggish. Whenever I shift from 1 to 2 (10-15-20 mph), it immediately shifts to (apparently) the same gear I begin in if I have the lever in OD. It operates PERFECTLY when manually shifted...in fact, when cold, I almost HAVE to shift it that way - it won't drop into the gear I get at 1 unless I do it manually. So, dumb questions time: is the 1 indicator a different gear than the gear I begin in when the shift lever is set to OD? It seems that no matter how warm the truck gets, at a stop it won't drop on its own to that gear (is it supposed to? I would think so!) By the way, reverse works with a brief hesitation and a hard-shift bang when truck is first started, then smoothly thereafter. I suspect I have a governor problem and a kickdown cable adjustment on my hands...your thoughts?

Man, talk about a resurrection.

My first thought would be that someone may have missed a step on the rebuild. Did you complete it yourself or have a shop do it? Have you checked the fluid level/consistency?

Man, talk about a resurrection.

My first thought would be that someone may have missed a step on the rebuild. Did you complete it yourself or have a shop do it? Have you checked the fluid level/consistency?
No, I didn't do it or watch it, but it was a credible shop that did it. I had a problem though with the first rebuild they did (on the existing tranny, which was the original in the truck), and they rebuild a shell just to swap out, as I couldn't leave the truck with them for a week like the previous time. I suspect they're not doing a total rebuild but just a rehab/puff job...or else maybe they know zip about A4LD's, idk. Fluid level is spot on, no burn clear red, seems right. It does have an adjustable modulator on it though, and this baby is a total rescue from the scrap heap - I've replaced so much stuff on this thing and literally everything of the running vacuum system except the intake manifold gasket...which is next...so I'm a bit skeptical about anything that even SEEMS like it could be a vacuum-related issue...sigh

Back