• Register Today It's free!

Quieting down a glasspack

4X4Bauer

Reaction score
City, State
Goffstown, New Hampshire
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Ford Explorer EB V6
I have a third cat delete with a flowmaster 4 series and I didn't like it. So, I got a 12 inch glasspack and it sounds AMAZING but it's also VERY, VERY loud. Too loud, actually, as I don't want to piss my neighbors off and I fear it won't get me a sticker. So, I have two options. Try putting the third cat back on to quiet it down, or keep the third cat OFF and put a longer, ~22 inch glasspack. I'm afraid it will sound ricey with the glasspack. Opinions? If I get any negative comments regarding glasspacks they're getting deleted.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Put the cat back on, you shouldn't have taken it off to begin with.
All glass packs are loud, put a longer one on if you wish. But it'll still be loud

Put the cat back on, you shouldn't have taken it off to begin with.
All glass packs are loud, put a longer one on if you wish. But it'll still be loud

I understand it will still be loud. And no, I am not putting the third cat back on. Can anybody compare the loudness of a normal sized glasspack to a flowmaster muffler? Trying not to piss my neighbors off coming home from work at night.

Anyone else have any input? Really not sure what to do here.

Is a 3rd cat delete legal in NH?

Are you running the full factory tailpipe or is the cherry bomb just hanging off the pipe under the truck?

Are you running the full factory tailpipe or is the cherry bomb just hanging off the pipe under the truck?

Running full factory pipe. All that has been done is a 3rd cat delete and the 12 inch cherry bomb. The actual body of the cherry bomb is 8 inches. I'm actually getting good at keeping it quiet in my neighborhood, so my only question now is do you think it will pass inspection? (With 3rd cat delete, not too worried about noise)

So, I have two options. Try putting the third cat back on to quiet it down, or keep the third cat OFF and put a longer, ~22 inch glasspack.

And no, I am not putting the third cat back on.

So, by your own account, you only have one option. Why did you post?

If I get any negative comments regarding glasspacks they're getting deleted.
Glasspacks sound like crap and have no place on any modern vehicle. Good luck deleting that ;) :cool:

Replace glasspack and muffler with a 70 Series FM. Love mine with my 3rd cat delete :)

Solved the problem. Good throttle control will go a long way at night ;) and I'm pretty sure I found a place where I can get a lick n stick. By the way, my glasspack sounds GREAT. Much better than my 40 series I had, that thing was high pitched and droned like crazy. Glasspack has 69 times the rumble. I'll post a sound clip soon once I get a suction cup gopro mount.

Hate to revive a semi-dead thread, but I'd rather do that than start a new one on the same subject.

I've been researching the heck out of the forum the last couple weeks for the downpipe size from the 2 cats into the 3rd to see if anyone posted up what size it might be. Sort of trying to eliminate several trips to the store I suppose. I got under the truck last night with calipers, kind of a weird angle however, I measured 3" OD.

In hindsight.........mine is a V8....ugh, bet it's going to be larger than the V6 (possibly).

If anyone has any insight, that'd be awesome. If not, I'll update 4X4Bauer's thread with the info incase anyone is searching.

Hate to revive a semi-dead thread, but I'd rather do that than start a new one on the same subject.

I've been researching the heck out of the forum the last couple weeks for the downpipe size from the 2 cats into the 3rd to see if anyone posted up what size it might be. Sort of trying to eliminate several trips to the store I suppose. I got under the truck last night with calipers, kind of a weird angle however, I measured 3" OD.

In hindsight.........mine is a V8....ugh, bet it's going to be larger than the V6 (possibly).

If anyone has any insight, that'd be awesome. If not, I'll update 4X4Bauer's thread with the info incase anyone is searching.

If you cut the third cat off, it's 3" from there (where is y's to a single). The main exhaust is 2 1/4".

If you cut the third cat off, it's 3" from there (where is y's to a single). The main exhaust is 2 1/4".

Awesome info. Thanks Limited02, that should cut my trips to Summit in half today haha.

Back