Radiator Fan - Electronic Clutch Question | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Radiator Fan - Electronic Clutch Question

engineeering

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
06 explorer xlt 4x4
hey all.. Love the forums!

I've searched the entire internet high and low and can't find anything. Hope you guys can help!

I have a 2006 XLT 4x4 explorer fitted with an electronically controlled radiator fan clutch. I would like to wire a bypass switch to engage my fan to high when needed.

In short... I live in a very mountanous region in the west coast where it can get really hot. I often have to tow my trailer and side-by-side UTV straight up logging roads for up to 8000 ft elevation (I inspect dams for a living). For some reason my fan only seems to be operated by the engine coolant temp and my trans temp can often be much hotter. I've installed a 23000lb rated inline ATF cooler... but it doesn't do any good without air speed across the rad.

Any help would be great! ps. this is the most i could find on the web...
http://www.justanswer.com/ford/1grjp-create-bypass-switch-turn-off-fan.html
It's for a diesel ford truck and the wiring colours are different. I want to start grounding some wires while observing the fan but I don't want to break anything or pop codes.

additonal notes... i have my egr deleted and I've heard that this can affect fan temps for some reason (emissions control turned off via flash SCT tune).

my electric fan stopped working one day and thankfully i had a ranger fan clutch with blades it fitted well kept the car cool with no trouble while waiting for the new electric fan, it's the best you could do, don't know if the bypass would work all the time if you live in a very hot place try to get a mechanical fan clutch work great and keep the car cool best of all no check engine light just try it out checking that the nut thread fits and your good to go

my electric fan stopped working one day and thankfully i had a ranger fan clutch with blades it fitted well kept the car cool with no trouble while waiting for the new electric fan, it's the best you could do, don't know if the bypass would work all the time if you live in a very hot place try to get a mechanical fan clutch work great and keep the car cool best of all no check engine light just try it out checking that the nut thread fits and your good to go

Thanks likibow! Great idea.

I've got a 4.0l engine on my stand and its got a direct conmection to the idler pulley (no clutch). I think its off an 04 xlt. The threads look the same so I'm gonna go ahead and swap it. Im gonna first just unplug the fan for a short test (and watch my temps) and see if any codes pop up.

If no code.. I'll probably swap it.

I might try the bypass once and see what happens
If its successful... it would be a gas saver... amd wiring it would actually be less work. I'll think about it a bit first.

Back