Radiator fan squealing/screeching at shutdown= inevitable dual fan assembly failure? | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Radiator fan squealing/screeching at shutdown= inevitable dual fan assembly failure?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

This afternoon, during rush hour, my wife drove to the airport to drop off some friends. I told her, as always, to be vigilant of the coolant gauge. So somewhere close to downtown Detroit, my wife calls me to tell me there is a white '11 ex stranded on the side of the road with the hood open and what appears to be steam coming out. Looks like another dual fan assembly bites the dust!

National BackOrder Radiator Fans

As other have posted as well ... my 2011 XLT with less than 2800 miles and 3 months old overheated ... took it into the dealer only to find the replacement part (fan) is on national backorder and will not be available until sometime (estimated) the week of July 11th Today is the 29th of June, Ford offered NO service loaner and after a bit of haggling did give me a rental car to get home from work.

What great support from FORD !!! Not !!!

If any one from FORD Detroit reads this ... how about some help !!! mbarrineau@carolina.rr.com

MKB

1900 miles and 8 weeks ==> fan failure + something wrong with the Terrain Management system. Dealer will let me know tomorrow what the timeframe will be but i certainly hope its not 2 weeks like the post above. Ford gave me a Chevy HHR in the meantime. Plus there are two other ex's in the dealership for overheating as well.

This after 7 weeks of flawless operation and only one MFT reset on the second day i had the car (running 2.7). Build date of 3/14 and from my understanding one of the reasons why i waited nearly 10 weeks for the car was the fan assembly problem.

Pissed off....so I pushed the issue!!

Just figured I would chime in as I too have now also experienced a fan issue. I have had my explorer approx 6 weeks & 4800 miles and all was well until yesterday. I had the air condition running w/my 15 yr old son waiting in the car as I ran in to the store. I came back 10 mins later and hot air blasting from the A/C. After turning the A/C off and on again it started blowing cold air as I drove and hot air as I sat idle at lights etc. I drove straight to the dealer and after an hr assessing the situation they told there was an issue w/the fan and they had to order. I was told it should be in tomorrow to have it fixed. What are the chances it will actually be in and back in order? I have a trip to South Carolina scheduled in a week.....I need the A/C!!! I can't believe i have this thing in the shop after only 6 weeks!!

Well I guess I got lucky by getting the cooling fan assembly replaced today. It didn't start out very well though. As I posted on Monday, my dealer's service dept diagnosed the issue and said the cooling fan assembly would be in today (Wed) and that they would call me to come in and get it replaced. After not receiving a call this morning, I called the service dept. to see if the part had in fact come in. They were not able to verify the part had been received (although the truck had delivered at 8am) and they said they would call me. I had not heard from them at noon so I decided I was going to stop by and see what was going on. Mind you, I was scheduled to leave on a trip tomorrow morning, and was counting on getting this repaired before driving 700 miles one way. I waited for 15 minutes while they tried to verify the part had been delivered (apparently they have a hard time tracking such things) only to have them tell me the part will be delivered tomorrow (Thur) morning. I proceeded to let them know how disapointing it was that I spent $45k on a new vehicle and now I have it in the shop 6 weeks after driving it off the lot. That doesn't even count the time waiting for it to be built/delivered etc....Then to top it off I was going to have to post-pone my trip!!! I said I should have went with my gutt and not bought a Ford, but my wife talked me in to it due to her father retiring from Ford and the Z plan discount. Miraculously, the service manager sais let me see what I can do and they are able to locate the cooling fan assembly at a dealer < 15 miles away. They would have it picked up and I could have it replaced this afternoon. Naturally I was thrilled to hear this, but I was even more upset that they didn't attempt to find it locally until I flipped out about it. Why would they order it from Michigan instead of finding it locally first? Seems like a piss poor way of handling these types of issues. Alls well that ends well, as it was replaced and I was back on the road within 3 hrs. I sure am glad I pushed the issue, or else I would have been waiting along w/everyone else for the backorder.

Jeff Nimon

MBarrineau, this must be very frustrating and I’d like your issue looked into so it can be resolved. In order for me to do this and escalate your concern, please send me a private message with your VIN, approximate mileage, and dealer name. I will do everything I can to help make this right.

Black Mounty, I’m glad you have a loaner and I’m here if you need any additional assistance in the future. If you do, please message me with the details above.

jnimon, I can imagine how tough it would have been to postpone leaving for your trip, and I’m glad you got back on the road.

Cory

New 2011 Ford EXP Fan Issue

I bought a new Ford Explorer in May of 2011.

The car is a 2011 Ford Explorer basic model.

Yesterday when my wife was driving it to work, the car signaled a coolant problem and then the engine started to smoke.

The car had done 4,800 miles only.

I called my dealer and they game me a number to call. Help arrived after one hour while I and my wife were waiting for help (I had to leave work to help my wife out).

The dealer told me that the cooling fans failed (while in trafic) and becuase of that the engine got overheated and the coolant liquid exploded.

I have two 20 months old baby girls (twins) and I am now very concerned about thier safety moving forward

Please help.

Fan squealing upon shutdown?!

Haven't had one of those posts in a while, well, I was resetting MFT to fix the weather map issue (which did the trick) and noticed when I shut it off it squealed. It was a very brief squeal but definitely coming from the ex and definitely the front area.

I went out later and reproduced it. My fans are still spinning, but I expect that wont be for long. Temp guage was normal and AC worked fine, but I'm not taking chances.

Odd thing is that I'm not in the TSB range - at least the one that was posted in the sticky. My build date is 5/13/2011 with around 13k miles.

I have made an appointment with a local dealer ASAP (although not my preferred dealer - didn't wanna risk the 45 minute drive and I think this one should be a pretty easy to diagnose and fix issue).

I wonder if they have redesigned the fans at all? Clearly they seem to have a defective design.

I know that when I've brought it into the dealer before there were very LARGE warnings regarding the cooling fans, so I don't expect there will be an issue.

Haven't had one of those posts in a while, well, I was resetting MFT to fix the weather map issue (which did the trick) and noticed when I shut it off it squealed. It was a very brief squeal but definitely coming from the ex and definitely the front area.

I went out later and reproduced it. My fans are still spinning, but I expect that wont be for long. Temp guage was normal and AC worked fine, but I'm not taking chances.

Odd thing is that I'm not in the TSB range - at least the one that was posted in the sticky. My build date is 5/13/2011 with around 13k miles.

I have made an appointment with a local dealer ASAP (although not my preferred dealer - didn't wanna risk the 45 minute drive and I think this one should be a pretty easy to diagnose and fix issue).

I wonder if they have redesigned the fans at all? Clearly they seem to have a defective design.

I know that when I've brought it into the dealer before there were very LARGE warnings regarding the cooling fans, so I don't expect there will be an issue.
Someone posted a couple of days ago that they have just had the same problem starting. Unfortunately it was within another thread and I can not recall which one.

Peter

Someone posted a couple of days ago that they have just had the same problem starting. Unfortunately it was within another thread and I can not recall which one.

Peter

Unfortunately, the dealer I have it with is not really my preferred dealer. My preferred dealer is 45 minutes away and I didn't want to drive it around risking overheating so I took it to the closest dealer. It wasn't squealing this morning, so we shall see what they come up with. Its not that I have a lot of problems with this dealer - I just know that my preferred dealer is top-notch.

Mine did the same exact thing, when I turned my explorer off... you could hear a squeal I referenced a TSB I found on this site 11-7-21 COOLING FAN NOISE, LACK OF A/C AND/OR OVERHEAT CONDITION and they replaced the cooling fan assembly on my 2011 explorer without any questions. I hope you receive the same response that I received from my dealer!

Resurrecting. I just experienced the cooling fan issue here in KC. It was 100 degrees today and probably the first time all year since I have owned this explorer that the AC was actually tasked.

Took it to dealer and as I pulled into service bay engine over heat warning pops on. Service manager obviously said put him in a rental. Got the call this morning that the cooling fans were not triggering on as a result of poor connections at the terminals as the TSB refers.

I bought this 11 Explorer single owner one dealer bought and sold because it only had 24K miles on it which gave me 6 months piece of mind under manufacturer warranty. 6 months was to the end of June 2014. Here we are at July 23rd and I get a $400 thank you for your warranty expiring call. Immediately called Ford Customer Service to express my frustration. I only have 30K miles on this lightly used truck and am not real happy that this is just happening.

It's ironic that the last 6 months here have been extremely cool and I haven't really had a chance to test a full year of seasons and then as soon is it gets hot enough the one component that gets tested fails.

I hope Ford will step up and give me a little assistance. My dealer Rob Sight Ford as been nothing but an extreme pleasure to work with. At least that part of my relationship with the American Builder has been nice.

...I hope Ford will step up and give me a little assistance. My dealer Rob Sight Ford as been nothing but an extreme pleasure to work with. At least that part of my relationship with the American Builder has been nice.

I'd like to look into this, baddceo; send me your info in a PM and I'll see what I can do to help. In your message, please include your full name, best daytime phone number, VIN, mileage, and servicing dealership info.

Crystal

I'd like to look into this, baddceo; send me your info in a PM and I'll see what I can do to help. In your message, please include your full name, best daytime phone number, VIN, mileage, and servicing dealership info.

Crystal

PM sent, thank you Crystal.

Back