Radiator replaced on '07 EB 4.0

joachimf

Reaction score
City, State
Cologne, Germany
Year, Model & Trim Level
'07 Eddie Bauer 4x4
Dear @all,

our ‘07 EB 4.0 had started using water in summer ’11, only a little. No puddles, no drips on the garage floor but visible in the overflow tank . After an extended search (full scale investigation) I found out that the radiator had cracks in the net, coolant hasn’t any exhaust components. Cracks seem to be in the middle of the rad so that the fan distributed the coolant fog out of the engine bay. Shroud had a thin layer of coolant and fan had some dried up coolant.

Went through the FoMoCo work shop manual and they suggest to take the radiator out with left and right radiator support attached to the radiator. They also suggest to use special tools for fan removal (36mm & 56mm wrench), radiator line removal (unclip tool) and tranny refilling (fill plug). Had ordered all this stuff including the rad from my preferred Ford dealer.

Removal and installation was easy, took me 5 hrs (including some breakes for coffee). Lost .4 litres of tranny fluid while removing the tranny lines from the radiator. After refilling the radiator with gold coolant I test drove the Ex and later checked for tranny level. Pushed the .4 litres back into the pan with a suction gun. Check hole starts dripping so I assume everything is all right.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Gratulations!
You now could also change the radiator cap and use the 16psi version.

Howdy,

well, had already changed the cap to a 16psi (1.1 bar) version last year.

Dear @all,

well, replacing the radiator was not a complicated thing. But I realized the automotive world changed after I have done these kinda jobs before. I do remember repairing/replacing the radiator and water pump of my ’93 F150 351W say ten years ago. No special tools needed to remove the fan & viscous clutch, just four bolts like on my ’67 Mustang with 289 Fairlane motor. And no special draining and filling recommendations with the E4OD (4R100). Just drive it to operating temp, pull the stick and add fluid if required.

But with the right tools and procedures it’s easy, too. Just more ‘modern’.

Dear @all,

well, replacing the radiator was not a complicated thing. But I realized the automotive world changed after I have done these kinda jobs before. I do remember repairing/replacing the radiator and water pump of my ’93 F150 351W say ten years ago. No special tools needed to remove the fan & viscous clutch, just four bolts like on my ’67 Mustang with 289 Fairlane motor. And no special draining and filling recommendations with the E4OD (4R100). Just drive it to operating temp, pull the stick and add fluid if required.

But with the right tools and procedures it’s easy, too. Just more ‘modern’.

I am going to need to replace the radiator on my 06 4.0 XLT. What was the cost of the radiator and specialty tools?

Also, I'm a little intimidated by this job. Are there any video tutorials or really good step-by-step instructions for this? Thanks.

Howdy @Chuhbaka,

if I do remember correctly the rad itself was around $170 and the four tools (36mm wrench, 56mm wrench, tranny line tool, filling nozzle) were around $100.

Hope this helps!

Joachimf, thanks for the info!

Back