Rain water leaking in from overhead console | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Rain water leaking in from overhead console

vpolitano

Reaction score
City, State
Reading Ma
Year, Model & Trim Level
06 Eddie Bauer
Hi,

I have a 2006 Ford Explorer Eddie Bauer, just today I noticed that rain water was leaking in and dripping from the overhead console. The leak is at front6 left side closest to the windshield.

Since there is a moonroof I first thought that is where the water is getting in from, but looking closely in the roof area by opening the moon roof, i can not see where it cold be coming from. The only other thought on my part was the top of the windshield at the weather strip.

Any ideas or thoughts ?

Thanks

Vito

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hi,

I have a 2006 Ford Explorer Eddie Bauer, just today I noticed that rain water was leaking in and dripping from the overhead console. The leak is at front6 left side closest to the windshield.

Since there is a moonroof I first thought that is where the water is getting in from, but looking closely in the roof area by opening the moon roof, i can not see where it cold be coming from. The only other thought on my part was the top of the windshield at the weather strip.

Any ideas or thoughts ?

Thanks

Vito

Welcome to the forum!
It's gotta be either the windshield or the sunroof...since it's an '06, isn't it still under warranty? If so, take it back in.

I'm also going to move this to the proper forum.

leaking from moonroof

i have same prblm like urs..... my wife have eddie bauer explorer 2004 and happened have problem leaking so i took it to ford plaza and ask what the heck does it comes from since i bought brand new.... they had to replace new seal around the sunroof for free which is under warranty... no prblem ever since... hope this help ur answer....:D

i believe ford has a tsb for this that involves re-routing the rear sunroof drains, they angle slightlly upwards, so it overfills the track and leaks out of the overhead counsole, i had to do one and it SUCKED

thanks for the replies

Thanks for the reply guys. I have been leaning towards to sunroof as I diagnose the issue. I'll take it back to Ford and ask about a TSB and/or the seal.

I'll post back what the outcome turns out to be,

Thanks again

Vito

I believe the TSB is going to be 07-20-6 which supersedes 06-21-17.

We had this happen twice. The first time we had the seal in the moonroof replaced...$300.00 +, The second time, a friend told us to bloe out the drain for the moonroof. To do this, open the driver's door, look down the side panel where the hinges are. Near the bottom of this area is a small hole. Gently stick a small pipe-cleaner or thin wire in the hole. Wiggle it around a few times and this should open the clogged drain tube.

Worked for us and water drained out.
-gloria

We had this happen twice. The first time we had the seal in the moonroof replaced...$300.00 +, The second time, a friend told us to bloe out the drain for the moonroof. To do this, open the driver's door, look down the side panel where the hinges are. Near the bottom of this area is a small hole. Gently stick a small pipe-cleaner or thin wire in the hole. Wiggle it around a few times and this should open the clogged drain tube.

Worked for us and water drained out.
-gloria

good tip, are there four drains? or two drains?

Leaky Moonroof

I believe we just cleaned out one. A lot of water poured out and we haven't done it since (2 years) . A pipe cleaner is a lot cheaper than for the dealer to do it.
Gloria (2BigDogs)

I had this happen in a 97 Jeep Grand Cherokee. It turned out it was a bad seal in the upper left hand side of the windshield. I had someone pour water on the roof and was able to find the leak and used a silicone sealent to fix the leak from the inside. Never leaked again. Good luck.

Does anyone have the TSB where I can download and read it? I have this same problem and I am just curious if it is something I can do myself.

Hey all,

I see that many of you are having similar issues. If you have not visited your servicing dealer yet, this would be my first suggestion. Additionally, you may register your Explorer on FordOwner.com at your convenience, if you have not already. This site provides information to properly maintain your vehicle, and offers bumper to bumper warranty & recall information (TSB notices as well.) There are many benefits to creating your own personalized account such as special offers from your preferred servicing dealer.

If after visiting your dealer you need further assistance, please feel free to contact me.

Seni

Hey all,

I see that many of you are having similar issues. If you have not visited your servicing dealer yet, this would be my first suggestion. Additionally, you may register your Explorer on FordOwner.com at your convenience, if you have not already. This site provides information to properly maintain your vehicle, and offers bumper to bumper warranty & recall information (TSB notices as well.) There are many benefits to creating your own personalized account such as special offers from your preferred servicing dealer.

If you after visiting your dealer you need further assistance, please feel free to contact me.

Seni

Seni you are annoying

Does anyone have the TSB where I can download and read it? I have this same problem and I am just curious if it is something I can do myself.

Anyone? I would also like a copy of this TSB.

Here we go with the (annoying) info commercial up there again.

2006 explorer limited leaky sunroof

I have had an ongoing issue with water leaking out of the left map light switch after a heavy rain. It only leaks when the car is parked nose up. All the drains are clear and the TSB drain tube issue has been done. I no longer have any warranty. Any ideas, a real pain.

Back