RE: ABS/Cruise Control problem. Might have a fix | Page 6 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

RE: ABS/Cruise Control problem. Might have a fix

I just bought a 03 XLT Explorer and the cruise light turns on but the truck just coasts. I went by a local junk yard and grabbed a new sensor for the master cylinder, but the cruise still just coasts. The cruise light stays on unless I press on the brakes. No ABS light, and as far as I know they ABS is working just fine.

What else should I look at?

It's possible that the junk yard part is no good. :dunno:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

It's possible that the junk yard part is no good. :dunno:

I have thought of that but my cruise doesn't turn off by itself. Any other things to check?

[/COLOR
I looked up the part in today's time (2012) it is called "Cruise Control Cutout Switch"- Part# 9F924 (SW-6349) $36.15.

I also have the problem of the ABS light coming on randomly when I accelerate, it has been doing it for a couple of years now and about a year ago noticed that my Cruise Control wasn't working either.

For some reason nobody could figure out what was causing the light to come on, but didn't realize that the cruise control was out either at the time.
I hope this fix works as I will be getting this part soon and try to do this myself (I obviously only get the major issues fixed that go wrong)... Being a female, I can only tell what the problem on a vehicle might be or how to describe (attention to detail), but sure as hell don't know how to fix it myself! Wish me luck! :0)

Just realized that the up-to-date posts are at the very end, ha! I'm going to check Amazon and hope it work!

Thanks everyone!!

I have thought of that but my cruise doesn't turn off by itself. Any other things to check?

So I figured out what is wrong with mine. If your cruise light comes on when you turn it on and stays on, but doesn't do anything, it is probably not the brake switch. It appears my problem is the throttle cable that the cruise works with keeps falling off the throttle body. I have used rubber bands (deteriorated and fell off) and a hair bungee I stole from my wife's hair on long vacation. The hair bungee has failed as it is acting up again. I guess I should just suck it up and buy a new cable.

1996 AWD
I had a cracked tail light lens (brake light) and it was half full of water when my cruise went out. It never accured to me they would be related. So I finally replaced the lens and found the connector where the bulb goes to be corroded with rust. I put a new bulb in and the cruise control worked on my way home from the bone yard. Now it doesn't work again.
So far I have
1. cleaned the brake light connector with an electrical cleaner (Deoxit) and removed the rust
2. replaced the Master Cylinder sensor ($24 local dealer)

It has never come back on....
My brake lights work properly (not on all the time)
I have no ABS

Any other suggestions? I will not take it to a dealer!!!!
What about a local repair shop?

other possible solution

my cruise control would light up on the dash board, but would not work. I found this answer on yahoo, and it solved my problem, glad I kept researching, I was lead on the direction of buying a master cylinder switch,,,,,,---->Check the cable that runs from the cruise control servo to the throttle body. The clip may have popped out where it attaches to the throttle body......

PROBLEM - Cruise control will not engage on a 2003 Explorer Sports Trac. It simply just flashes green and shuts right off.
SOLUTION - Buy Ford Part number 3L3Z*9F924*AB which is $19.93. This is a switch that sits on top of the Master Cylinder and I replaced it in around 2 minutes and the cruise control worked properly. Only tool required was an adjustable wrench.

Thanks to all who led me to this relatively easy fix. I put the part number in there to make it easier for others.

I just bought this part(3/5/13) but found it at AutoZone Part #F4044 Duralast Cruise Control Switch for $22.00

Thanks for this thread!! On vacation this week driving my wife's '04 (only 83k miles btw, used for trips and weekends only basically) this ABS light then no cruise happened. I was concerned about a major problem until I found this thread. I ordered the part from rockauto and had it sent to my home. Arrived home today, part was here, installed the part tonight. Took maybe 5 mins, though the OE switch was screwed in tight and I had to force it off a little harder than than I thought I might. Time will tell if this did solve the problem, but with having the exact symptoms as described (hard acceleration, ABS light on, then no cruise until truck was turned off) I believe I have solved the problem!

Gents - check out O'Reilly's, Autozone and/or Advanced auto parts. I found my switch for $21.99.

Cruise Control Enabling issue

I am facing a problem with cruise control of my Mercury Mountaineer 2002. It was working OK when I parked my Car last night. In the day when I tried to enable cruise control, its light indication appeared on dash board but cruise control did not enable. My car speed continuously getting down. I applied brakes lighting indication disappeared i-e, light indication was responding but cruise control did not enable. I tried it 3 to 4 times but same results.
I am worried, and want to know what can go wrong. Dear members require your support

Cruise control deactivation switch replaced twice

If this is giving anyone a problem it might just be a bad switch.

A few months ago I got an ABS light on the dash and the cruise control had been working when it felt like it. I read the posts in this thread and replaced the deactivation switch on top of the master cylinder and that solved the problem.

Went along for a couple of months and got the same condition. ABS light and cruise stopped working totally. Replaced the deactivation switch again and that solved the problem.

Talking to the guy at O'Reilly he indicated that the replacement switches fail and that they get them back pretty frequently. I guess next time I will go to the dealer and get a Ford part. Hope I don't have to.

O'Reilly Auto Parts does give credit for the bad part.:thumbsup: :D Save the receipt.

Cruise control not working

This is for a 2005 ford explorer V8.

I tried to follow the suggestions about the cruise control. My abs light does not come on. Also the switch is not on top of the break master cylinder it is on the bottom. I have tried multiple times to purchase the right sensor switch but its always incorrect. I have also went to the dealership and talked with them about it but they also tried to sell me the wrong switch, the same one i had already purchased that did not work. It seemed to go out or stop working after i had to break really hard once. Any suggestions would help?

How is the break fluid level? :dunno:

Is this the red switch on the top front of the master cylinder? I thought there was a recall on that. I believe the original was red, and the new ones are black. And to confirm what Rondo mentioned, I had the same problem. At the same time I found a had a leaking wheel cylinder. After replacing the wheel cylinder and topping off the master my problems went away. So low level fluid can be a cause.

Anyone know the torque spec for SW6349?

what switch was it they replaced? Brake Pressure Sensor?

So I got pissed off over the weekend with the cruise dying and ABS Light coming on. Went into the Ford Dealer after dealing with this for months and very politely said, "It's on again, Cruise is acting up, here are the keys I don't want it back untill it's fixed." Later that afternoon dealer calls and tells me he thinks he's got it.
Apparently there's a backup switch on the master cylinder for the brake lights. The light was on again and they jumpered the switch and it went off. Parts are ordered and they will be in tommorrow. I'll get more details tommorrow. Wife took the Expo to work today due to a crapload of snow.

What part did they replace? Brake pressure switch

Back