"REAL" Tires

Col.Dadrocks

Reaction score
City, State
Boise, Idaho
Year, Model & Trim Level
2004 XLT 4.0
Im reposting this to the "Modded" board

Hey all probably lots on this subject already but I got tired of looking.

My 04 v6 went through 6 of those damn stock Michelin's by 55000 2 died
from rock bruise 1 from sidewall cut the rest quite naturally wore out..

Any how i got some BFG ATs and they have 6 ply in tread 3 in sidewall
Max Air 50 lbs COLD.

I'm running them at 45 HOT and they are quit stiff already from the extra plies
I'm seeing 1 to 2 mpg increase.

Any how I love being able to hammer down the dirt roads here in Idaho and not feel like I have to dodge any thing thats not smaller than a Golf ball.

Any one else have similar tire Tales? or opinions?

One drawback, lol, they gravel pickin sunovaguns.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I love mine. But I know what you mean I had to get used to the rocks that can fly up. At first I though something broke on the truck then realized it was rocks from the tires. lol My michelin's got 75,000km on them and I didnt like them once in that time. They were terrible in the winter and cant wait for the snow to see how the new BFG's will handle it. I was told that they are kickass and in deep snow spin them a bit and they will self clean and then go through a lot. We'll see in a few months how they do.

bfg all terrains might just be the best truck tires(all purpose) of all time.

ive had a set of 32 inch (265/75/16) bridgestone dueler apts and couldnt be happier... they look great and aggressive and handle well in dirt and rocks... havent tested the mudding abilities yet but ill get back to u

2456765_44_full.jpg

ive had a set of 32 inch (265/75/16) bridgestone dueler apts and couldnt be happier... they look great and aggressive and handle well in dirt and rocks... havent tested the mudding abilities yet but ill get back to u

2456765_44_full.jpg

I'm only kidding with you when I say this - seriously just bustin a little balls - how many times have I seen tire talk on here with a response and picture of this truck :)

To offer a little to the thread - I just installed 265/75/16s on my Explorer last night - Toyo Open Country ATs. Very pleased with the look - I know, I know, worthless without pics - Will put the pics up tonight or Sunday I hope. Takes a little getting used to, though, and I'm very worried about a drop in mileage

I'm only kidding with you when I say this - seriously just bustin a little balls - how many times have I seen tire talk on here with a response and picture of this truck :)

To offer a little to the thread - I just installed 265/75/16s on my Explorer last night - Toyo Open Country ATs. Very pleased with the look - I know, I know, worthless without pics - Will put the pics up tonight or Sunday I hope. Takes a little getting used to, though, and I'm very worried about a drop in mileage

haha well i appreciate the respect with the ball bustin... i just cant get enough of it... love the way the larger tires look

good choice in tire on the BFG's on my second set and i love them. Just got back for CO and they rocked

haha well i appreciate the respect with the ball bustin... i just cant get enough of it... love the way the larger tires look

Oh, i agree - I can't look at mine enough. Should post pics up on Sunday when I get back in town...Looks SO MUCH BETTER

Pic from my phone:

Toyo Open Country ATs
265/75/16

2681189_5_full.jpg

I had 31x10.50x15 BFG A/Ts on a Dodge Ram and I found that they wore extremely fast and I was constantly getting them rebalanced. The truck's allignment was perfect and I was very cautious of tire pressure. I suppose it could have just been that particular set of tires, but I've been leery of the A/Ts ever since. On the contrary, I've found that the BFT M/Ts are absolutely great! I done some work with a natural gas company a couple years ago and half of the work trucks had BFGs and the other half had various other brands. The other guys were getting blowouts constantly on the rough terrain, but the BFGs stayed strong. None of the ones on my truck blew out... I even gave my spare up to one of the less fortunate guys with Goodyears.

Back