Really concerned. Help!! | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

The control arm is the piece the BJ is pressed into. The ends of the CA are attached to the frame and pivots up and down with the wheel assembly as you roll over humps and bumps and make turns. It "controls" the wheel movement relative to the car.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

and this is where my ignorance comes in...what is the control arm?

Its the wheels. My steering wheel feels fine it just feels like I'm just swaying side to side.
I need to +1 post #18 . ;)
Just a guess but check both front sway bar end links.

I need to +1 post #18 . ;)

If the sway bar isn't controlling things properly (broken sway bar ends) the handling in turns would be different but I'm not sure it would cause a wheel to "wobble".

Early in my career as a Gen 2 Explorer owner I had a "wobble" where I could actually feel my front driver's wheel tilt back and forth as I made left and right turns (driving on twisty mountain roads). Thanks to this wonderful site I found that my hub assembly was dangerously worn out.

Kayla

If you jack up the front of your vehicle can you grab the tire and make it "wobble" in any direction other than normal rotation? If so, can you hear or feel anything clunking that might be disconnected or broken? Can you track it down to driver or passenger side?

Good Luck,
Dan

I recently got my upper ball joints replaced and after i turned a corner a very loud pop noise came from the front of my car.

My steering wheel feels fine it just feels like I'm just swaying side to side.
Classic sound and symptom of a broken end link. Just surprised no mention of a rattle hitting bumps. OP, did you check them?

Update!!

i took my car back and it was actually my right rear wheel bearing. He stated that he literally could move my wheel any direction he wanted. So with that said I wasn't allowed to take my car home.

I guess I just convinced myself that it was the front acting up due to me just getting my ball joints replaced. Thank you all for your input!!!

I literally replaced my left one last month so I suppose it was time to change this one.

I literally replaced my left one last month so I suppose it was time to change this one.

For the sake of ease (but not necessarily wallet comfort), I usually replace things all at once. If the left goes bad, the right gets replaced as well, if applicable.

It's not strictly necessary in all cases, but it saves time at the shop/garage.

For the sake of ease (but not necessarily wallet comfort), I usually replace things all at once. If the left goes bad, the right gets replaced as well, if applicable.

It's not strictly necessary in all cases, but it saves time at the shop/garage.

I will definitely keep that in mind. he inspected my car and said that was the only problem he could find other than a soft radiator hose and a minor coolant leak. So fingers crossed no more repairs for a while!

Does anyone know if it's moderate to change your radiator hose on your own? I joined the forum so I can start working on my car myself in the future. The tranny and the radiator were replaced about 5 years ago so I plan on keeping "Big Red" for awhile.

Thanks!

Radiator hoses are fairly easy to change. You'll need some pliers with a large enough opening to grab the clips (I use channel lock or slip-joint pliers), a drain pan or other means to catch the coolant which will undoubtedly spill out onto the ground, and obviously the replacement hoses and enough coolant to top off your radiator system.

Removing the upper hose will dump several ounces of coolant (at least in my experience). Removing he lower will basically drain the whole system. Just be ready for a lot of bright green fluid to gush out suddenly.

Other considerations are gloves for your safety & cleanliness, and rags for cleanup. Maybe a fluid spill kit, for any excess spillage -- small amounts shouldn't hurt, as glycol (coolant) is supposed to be biodegradable.

I can't recall exactly how much coolant is required to completely fill the radiator & cooling system to recommended capacity, but I would search around through your owner's manual and here in the forums to double-check that number.

Back