• Register Today It's free!

Rear antiskid

Exbronco2

Reaction score
City, State
North Carolina
Year, Model & Trim Level
1989 Bronco 2
Hello all, I wish I ran across this forum earlier. I have an 89 Bronco 2 that I recently put a 4 liter in (out of 93 Explorer), It turned out to be a pain because I couldn't find a wiring harness, (from firewall back) to work. I ended up using the Explorers WH and rewiring the rear lights myself. I opted out of wiring the pwr door locks and I have to wir the auto 4 wheel drive later. I also swapped the Broncos front and rear axles with the Explorer's, (Bronco 2 has a 6 inch lift).

My question is I removed all electrical plugs and fuses from the rear antiskid system on Bronco 2 but kept all the mechanical components as is. Does anyone know if this OK? Will the anti skid valve cause problems in the braking system and is there an aftermarket valve or another fix? It seems to be working OK, (I have brakes). I realize I no longer have anti skid protection but the system wasn't that great to start with. Thanks in advance!

My rear abs was useful especially with a lift. I removed the abs pump last year because the lines rusted and I regret it. I have to be very careful that I am not following too closely to someone on a bumpy road. I have locked the brakes multiple times - almost always b/c of excessively bumpy roads and having a lift. otherwise the brakes perform normal (pre abs normal anyhow)

The dash light for the anti-locks on my 88 B-II decided to turn on permanently not long ago and I have not really done a lot to find out why. The brakes work fine (I have tried them several times on my steep gravel driveway and the gravel road it leads to, and can't tell any difference. If it is like my '92 Exploder, the ABS doesn't work in 4-WD anyway. But yesterday I was underneath doing something else, and discovered a connector on the frame rail just about where the ABS stuff is. The connector has been ripped out of somewhere (!), so that may be my clue, but anyway, the ABS seems to work (or it doesn't do much). Still, if it's there, I want it to work. My next maintenance job!

Back