Rear Axle bent?

RaistliN

Reaction score
City, State
Little River Gloucester, New-Brunswick
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 XLT AWD V8
Hi guys,

Been looking around hard but can't seem to locate the answer to my little problem..

My '00 Ex just turned 157000miles, and for the past 25-30k I always had a bit of a shake to it when going past 80km/h, and especially when pulling my trailer, when the engine would labour moderately, that's when the shaking would be even more noticeable. I've been blaming the local tire shop for not being able to balance my tires correctly, and never gave it second taughts. Yesterday I finally took the time to put her on the lift and check things out to ensure it isn't anything else causing the shake. With all this milleage on her, and the rear end never required any work - perhaps a little more than simple tires are at work here.

Once the truck on the lift, I had someone put the truck on drive and get the wheels turning to about 15-20km/h. Verified all wheels and all were perfect to the exeption of my back passager side.

It seemed as if my rim was bent, kicking about a half an inch inwards. Stopped the engine, got the wheel off, put it on balancing machine, wheel is perfect. Next step is perhaps my brake rotor is warped? Started engine, got my friend to put it in gear and slowly spin the tires, and I noticed my rotor kicking inwards a bit maybe 3/8th of an inch, I'm thinking strange, theres are less than 3months old cross/drilled rotors, anywho took those off and checked them out with a re-surfacer, turns out my rotor is perfect.

Now I am thinking no this can't be, yes indeed, get the wheels turning again, and the shaft kicks about an eight of an inch. I need to replace that.

My question is, will any shaft from ranger/explorer from same generation fit on here? Junked Explorers in my area are VERY rare, and I have the AWD version with the V8 which is even RARER, before going to the dealer for a new axle replacement, I'd rather check if I can say take one from a junked ranger for instance, I can get plenty of those in this area. ..

All help is much appreciated, same if someone can point me to a thread that would have my answers, can't seem to locate it if it exists. . .

PL

Look for Eddie Bauer ones - my '01 is a V8 with AWD and limited slip on rear.

You'll need an axle shaft from an Explorer as the Rangers often had the 28 spline axle shaft (and yours is 31 spline) - at least that's how it is here in the US. The axle shaft does not differ between the different trims lines (XLS, XLT, Eddie Bauer, etc..). However, the sides do differ and one side will be a bit longer than the other - so make sure the replacement axle shaft is for the correct side.

Ok this confirms I cannot look for junked Rangers for a replacement part, but at least I am not stuck looking for a junked V8 explorer only, lol

Thanks for the info!

PL

Back