• Register Today It's free!

Rear Chassis Cross Member

Andrew Homar

Reaction score
City, State
Goshen, New York
Year, Model & Trim Level
2004 Sport Trac XLT 4WD
Hello all, just joined this forum today. I purchased my Explorer Sport Trac new in 2004. It is by far one of the best and useful trucks I have ever owed. But now, after 18 plus years of service age is starting to take its toll. The rear chassis cross member (Ford part no. 3L2Z-5K007-AA) which has been discontinued has rotted out on the left hand side and must be replaced. I have not had any luck in finding one yet. Been trying auto salvage yards but have come up empty so far. If anyone has some thoughts, ideas or leads I would appreciate the help in finding one. Thanks

Welcome to the forum! I've gotten replacement rocker panels from RockAuto.com, maybe they have crossmembers also? Have also gotten some parts from oemautoparts.com and Ebay. There are also online junkyards. Of course shipping would be expensive, but if you're up to a long drive.... All of us in the snow/salt/rust areas run into the same issues! If none of these work, perhaps a body shop could weld in something to replace it? Best wishes. I'm thinking 410Fortune would know something about that, he builds trucks!

welcome! RA sometimes has crossmembers, JY has. lkq has a network of folks who can pull stuff for you, uneedapart has some folks too

Is the right side a mirror image of the left side? If so and the right side is intact enough to get off non-destructively, you might be able to get a metal fabricator to make, weld up a new piece out of box or c-channel steel. Is the frame in good shape where it attaches but had rotted out?

It might be easier to mock this up if the bed were removed. Maybe it doesn't need to be as complex a shape to have clearance around everything else, so it just weighs a little more to use a simpler shape with same strength.

Back