Rear Diff Cover | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Rear Diff Cover

G

geoph1986

Hello Guru's,
I'm planning to go to my local you-pull this weekend for some stuff. I've been making my list, when it occurred to me that I should get a metal diff cover (as I understand it mine is fiberglass). I read it on here a while ago, and now I can't find the info I'm looking for. What vehicles am I looking for that have a decent rear diff cover?
Thanks in advance.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Maniak,
Those are nice, but currently more than I have to spend on one right now. I got this truck last spring and it was a has not had a great service history, aside from engine and trans oil changes and a bunch of stuff being done just before it was sold. Having said that, I want to change all the fluids now that it's not balls cold outside. I've heard of people breaking their fiberglass covers while draining the fluid, plus I do go offroad a bit. Nothing extreme, just to get to camping/hunting/fishing spots. So I figured, I'm going to be at the boneyard anyway, why not get a metal diff cover? It's not as good as those you showed me, but better than what I have and cheap enough that I can afford now. Honestly, this truck runs great, but it needs alot. Most people would have scrapped it, I see it as "cheaper than a car payment", and I can always upgrade to better and better parts as time goes on.

You can get a new metal cover at the dealer for under $20 , IIRC. I did that a few years ago.
You have to ask for a F150 cover.
There's a thread or two on here about it.

You can get a new metal cover at the dealer for under $20 , IIRC. I did that a few years ago.
You have to ask for a F150 cover.
There's a thread or two on here about it.

Thanks, I'll give the dealer a call tomorrow. I looked around on here for it, but I couldn't remember the vehicle the metal one was off of, and I had to post after going through many, many pages without finding what I needed. What year of F150, or does it matter?

I'd ask for one for a early 90's truck.
But if you're going to the junkyard, may as well look there first.
And wherever you get one, bring a magnet to make sure. ;)

Thanks again,
Not to sound redundant, but just making 110% sure. Early '90's, let's say 90-94, F150's, with an 8.8" diff.

wherever you get one, bring a magnet to make sure. ;)

Extendo magnet things (I don't know what they're called) are a permanent part of my tool box. It seems your always dropping something, and they handy as hell.

Back