• Register Today It's free!

Rear Diff Packed, questions.

erixon

Reaction score
City, State
Edmonton, AB
Year, Model & Trim Level
99 Sport
Hey guys, I have a lot of noise coming from my rear diff, pulled my Explorer into my automotive class, and my instructor confirmed the rear diff is hooped. It's super loud, he said we could rebuild it when we get to drivelines in our course, but I'm still going to have to buy a rebuild kit, and wait all that time for us to get into drivelines. I have a 99 sport, 5 spd manual. Are all the diff's prety much the same in between 95-99 or do I have to look out for certain models of Explorers? Thinking if I can find a decent replacement, maybe I'll just replace it myself.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

your quickest and easiest is to just grab another 8.8 from an Explorer. They are all the same in those years. Make sure it's the same ratio as your front end, then go to town. 94-99 will all be the same.

Learning to re-gear it would be a GREAT thing to do. A lot of guys are intimidated by gears, but once you learn, it's an awesome skill to have.

If you're ring and pinion are good, then it's just the rebuild kit... but you may be able to find a complete axle for the same price... but it might blow up on you as well...

are the sport trac models compatible at all?

just remember if you are going to swap rears, you wont know what you are getting till you put it in. you could buy the same problem.

i would say rebuild it.

well, i looked at the wrecking yards in your area online and came to this conclusion,
it would be easy to find one in there, just have to know what the axle code is on the door tag,
usually wrecking yards will know how many kilometers were on the truck that the rear was pulled from, get a lower mileage one,

Sounds like we are going to put new side bearings, and pinion bearings in at school. Now I just need to figure out how to get back and forth from school for a few days while we're working on it...lol.

Sounds like we are going to put new side bearings, and pinion bearings in at school. Now I just need to figure out how to get back and forth from school for a few days while we're working on it...lol.

Bicycle?

I have code 42 axle, from what I read thats 4.10 non-limited slip, is LSD on these whats referred to as "traction-loc"? I am just reading on the specs, the gear oil is way different for regular diff and traction loc diffs.

I have the rebuild kits for $80. It includes all of the diff bearings.

I have code 42 axle, from what I read thats 4.10 non-limited slip, is LSD on these whats referred to as "traction-loc"? I am just reading on the specs, the gear oil is way different for regular diff and traction loc diffs.

unless its an aftermarket lsd than ford's "nickname" persay is the traction-lock also called trac-lok sometimes

I have the rebuild kits for $80. It includes all of the diff bearings.

I got one for $74 from the school..but thanks anyways. One of the advantages to going to school, cheap parts, haha.

Back