Rear Differential Fluid -- Type, Tips? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Rear Differential Fluid -- Type, Tips?

1996ex

Reaction score
City, State
Minneapolis, Minnesota
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 Explorer 4.0 XLT 4WD
I need to change the fluid in my rear differential, and I have three questions.

Will I be able to have enough leverage to remove that drain plug if I don't raise the rear end?

I've read about a "modifier", but I don't know if I need that or not?

Last, will filling it to the bottom of the fill plug until it starts dripping out the absolute most full it should be?

Thanks!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Does this have the friction modifier in it? Or should I add that separately?

Technically it does but I always add the Motorcraft one just to be sure.

OReilly and Ford are the only places that sell it. https://www.oreillyauto.com/detail/...l3/v/a/5265/automotive-suv-2003-ford-explorer

Warning! IT STINKS! Do not use in a enclosed garage! Even the gear oil stinks but this is 10 times worse.

Check your axle code on the door sticker to be sure you have a LSD or you don't need it.

I would double check this, data I have shows full fill is 4oz friction modifier (if needed) plus 5.5-5.8 pints aka 3 qts.

Yes you should be able to get the drain plug off without lifting it. But everyone has different levels of rust so do what works for you.

Ford and OReilly's are not the only places that sell the XL3 friction modifier, but at $5 OReilly's has a good price for a local B&M. It's $9 on Amazon, $4 +S/H on Rock Auto.

I would double check this, data I have shows full fill is 4oz friction modifier (if needed) plus 5.5-5.8 pints aka 3 qts.

Ford and OReilly's are not the only places that sell the XL3 friction modifier, but at $5 OReilly's has a good price for a local B&M. It's $9 on Amazon, $4 +S/H on Rock Auto.

What data? I'm simply stating that two will be required, not that one will use all of it.

I was referring to only B&M stores. Getting hazmat fluids shipped is expensive.

^ Wherever I got the fluid capacities from years ago, suggests that 2Qt won't fill it, rather 3Qt needed. I wouldn't want the job to be stopped in the middle if 2Qt won't fill it.

Amazon shipping is free on 3Qt even without prime since 3X puts it over $25 order minimum threshold, but still higher than Rock Auto or O'Reilly's. Rock Auto S/H to me is $7 so... $12 - 5% off coupon code + $7 S/H = $18.40, a little higher than 3Qt from O'Reilly's since shipping is never really free. $7 doesn't seem all that expensive, about what I'd expect for something the weight and volume of 3Qt of fluid.

The code on my differential is 45, so apparently it's an open and not a limited slip differential.

I was hoping the modifier would help quiet the light-to-moderate howling I get at freeway speeds.

Does anyone think it will help? Are there any brands of differential fluid that would help?

^ Wherever I got the fluid capacities from years ago, suggests that 2Qt won't fill it, rather 3Qt needed. I wouldn't want the job to be stopped in the middle if 2Qt won't fill it.

FordExplorerFluidCapacities.png

3.25 pints = 1.951544 quarts
3.50 pints = 2.10166 quarts

I really don't think being 0.10166 short on a non LSD is going to make a difference...

^ Is that for an '02 to '05 3rd gen? If so that would explain the discrepancy. I'm looking at what I had for a 2nd gen because the vehicle in his profile is a '96.

2nd gen, you need 3qt for a no-kidding drain and fill.

Additive only required for LSD. And if your clutches are shot, which they probably are, the additive won’t do anything.

As for the howling...that’s not good. I wouldn’t expect anything in a bottle to fix that.

Then OP posted in the wrong forum...
Maybe... certainly something was omitted, in the following topic a 2003 is mentioned:

1996ex, it would be good for you to mention which model year you're posting about when your only profile vehicle doesn't match the forum generation it's in. I put my two explorers in my sig since only one displays on the posts as "trim level" which is limited to 25 characters.

Maybe... certainly something was omitted, in the following topic a 2003 is mentioned:

1996ex, it would be good for you to mention which model year you're posting about when your only profile vehicle doesn't match the forum generation it's in. I put my two explorers in my sig since only one displays on the posts as "trim level" which is limited to 25 characters.
I just noticed this now. I’ve had several explorers and my username reflects an old one.

This thread is about my current 2003 Explorer.

Moderators: Please love this back to the original forum I posted this in! Thank you!

Then OP posted in the wrong forum...
TechGuru, you’ve always been helpful. This is about my 2003 Explorer. My username reflects an old one I had.

Do you have the authority to move it back to the forum I posted it in? Thanks for your help!

I just noticed this now. I’ve had several explorers and my username reflects an old one.

This thread is about my current 2003 Explorer.

Moderators: Please love this back to the original forum I posted this in! Thank you!
You can edit your profile to show this vehicle instead... unless you still have the '96 :)

You can edit your profile to show this vehicle instead... unless you still have the '96 :)
I can’t seem to on the mobile app :/

I don’t think this should’ve been moved when that’s merely something listed on my profile page and in this very thread it was clear I was referring to a 3rd Gen, too :(

I can’t seem to on the mobile app :/

I don’t think this should’ve been moved when that’s merely something listed on my profile page and in this very thread it was clear I was referring to a 3rd Gen, too :(
Sorry, your profile vehicle confused me then it was my fault it got moved.

Sorry, your profile vehicle confused me then it was my fault it got moved.
Please don’t apologize! It’s truly of no importance other than the right category.

And you’ve been very helpful in this thread and others!

My profile is so old (2010) that I didn’t think anyone would reference it. That 1996 has probably been recycled into steel used in a newer model!

I’ll get on a computer soon and update it with my current vehicles.

Yes you should be able to get the drain plug off without lifting it. But everyone has different levels of rust so do what works for you.

^ Is that for an '02 to '05 3rd gen? If so that would explain the discrepancy. I'm looking at what I had for a 2nd gen because the vehicle in his profile is a '96.

Response to ? 1. 1st remove the fill plug or loosen it 1st.
Check the label on the driver side front door striker frame for your axle code. I used about 3 QTS. And the green RTV for gear oil. I also purchase a small bottle pump at autozone. Similar to hand cleaner pump.
2. The label will have that I for. My did not. I have a discussion with another member, he believe all explorer uses it, but my does not.
3. With the car level fill it to it leak out. I used thread sealant on the threads.
I also used a empty pizza box under the catch pan and diff cover. To keep it clean.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back