Rear Differnential Covers | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Rear Differnential Covers

Spindlecone - I believe you're right. Our gear lube thing at work has a dial on it and its in pints -- mine takes 5.5 pints. 2 pints equal a quart. So basically 2.75 qrts is the normal capacity.

thanks for the input appx91!

-Drew

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I like the trick flow one.

1 - Ford 8.8" ClearGearz Diff Cover is on it's way from Jegs. I also ordered some Royal Purple 75w-90 synth gear lube from Summit. I ordered 3 quarts of it. My old cover allowed 5.5 pints (2 pints = 1 quart) so 2.75 quarts is what it should hold. So, I hope 3 will be enough. I doubt it's any bigger than a stock/chrome cover. Thanks for everyones opinion. And don't worry - I'll take pictures. I might even try and take a movie of the gears moving when driving -- where can/could I host the video?

-Drew

ExplorerDMB said:
1 - Ford 8.8" ClearGearz Diff Cover is on it's way from Jegs. I also ordered some Royal Purple 75w-90 synth gear lube from Summit. I ordered 3 quarts of it. My old cover allowed 5.5 pints (2 pints = 1 quart) so 2.75 quarts is what it should hold. So, I hope 3 will be enough. I doubt it's any bigger than a stock/chrome cover. Thanks for everyones opinion. And don't worry - I'll take pictures. I might even try and take a movie of the gears moving when driving -- where can/could I host the video?

-Drew
Put the truck on jackstands, than put it in gear to do the video.
You could get hurt trying to do so while driving :eek:

haha, I wasn't just going to hang on to the axle while someone pulls away - I will either take it up to the shop and drive it onto a four post then lift the axle up -- I wouldn't trust jack stands either though.

-Drew

EDIT: I'll be in the shop when I install it anyway -- so we'll see.

I am installed the cover tomorrow. I will probably just be able to take pictures of it. I will have 75w-90 Royal Purple in the diff, so it should look kind of cool. I haven't seen anyone on this site with one -- but I am gonna do a another thread for it. Sort of a write up.

-Drew

Trickflow

I installed the cover today and it looks real cool. I will post some pictures once I upload them.

-Drew

Pics! Pics! Pics!

Oops, I knew I forgot to do something. Here are the pictures. Thanks for the link DirtyDog!

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

-Drew

Hella cool
Whers the video you promised:)

Like I said in the other thread, that thing looks great. :cool:

No problem. That's cool Drew

Did you sipe your SSR's?

Siping - small lines cut in the tire to help with traction (usually rain or snow). In the second pic, it looks like the middle tread blocks are siped. I didn't think they came like that, so I was wondering if you did them yourself.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I've had the ClearGearz for over a year now and have taken it 4wheeling and it has never broke on me. It is tough a nails IMO, and have gotten many compliments from people.

Back