Rear doors won't open | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Rear doors won't open

pwbomb

Reaction score
I have a 2001 that is driven primarily by my kids. Unfortunately they managed to break the exterior handles on both rear doors and now they can no longer open the doors from the inside either. Any suggestions on how to get the doors to open so that I at least have a chance of fixing them. The idea of just tearing the interior door panels out at some level has a sick kind of appeal but there has to be a better way.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Don't blame your kids, this is very common. My rear interior handles work intermitently and I assure you no one has beat on them. It has something to do with the mechanism inside the door panels, so you'll have to take them off. This is precisely why I haven't fixed mine yet.

Rear Doors

What I'm blaming them for is not letting me know that there was a problem until it was too late. So you haven't figured a way to get inside them yet either. If I do I will certainly post it.

Getting the panel off with the door closed is a real pain but it is possible. Start at the bottom front of the door panel and either use you hands or a small tool to pry up the edge of the panel and then pull it toward you and work your way around the bottom. Once you get the panel off you will most likely find that there is a small spring that has broken allowing the rod from the exterior door handle to sink down about 1/4 inch. You can push up on this rod while trying either handle and the door should open. Once you have it open replace the spring by attaching it to the rod near the door latch and the other end to the inside of the exterior handle.

If you end up replacing the exterior handles DO NOT buy the cheap ones from Amazon. Mine broke within a month.

Back