• Register Today It's free!

Rear end gears

Donystoy

Reaction score
City, State
Hamilton, Ontario
Year, Model & Trim Level
02 Eddie Bauer 4.6
Is there an easy way to find out if the rear end on my 02 eb is an open type or otherwise. I could probably call the dealer with my vin # or jack it up and spin the wheels too find out but was hoping that there was some indication on a label or similar. Mine has developed a slight seal leak and want to top it up until warmer weather comes. If it is open I wont have to purchase any modifier. Priced the oil and they want $20 for a 1 quart size:eek:

on the drivers door jamb there is a tag , it has the axle code,

find it , than search axle codes, it's all here ,

Is there an easy way to find out if the rear end on my 02 eb is an open type or otherwise. I could probably call the dealer with my vin # or jack it up and spin the wheels too find out but was hoping that there was some indication on a label or similar. Mine has developed a slight seal leak and want to top it up until warmer weather comes. If it is open I wont have to purchase any modifier. Priced the oil and they want $20 for a 1 quart size:eek:

As Corkey told you, the code for the rear diff gears is on the drivers door tag. The 2 character gear code numbers/letters are as follows:

42= 4.10 gears - Open Diff
45= 3.55 gears- Open Diff
46=3.73 gears- Open Diff

D2= 4.10 gears- Limited Slip
D4= 3.73 gears- Limited Slip
D5= 3.55- Limited Slip

Thanks guys. Found it but could barely read it. Open diff.

Back