Rear end noise? | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Rear end noise?

I personally was not trying to be CONDESCENDING in my question(possibly unlike others answers) but was simply "asking a question". I was woundering what the advantages are for using the and justifying its purchase. We do not all work for ford w/access to all the factory toys(I mean tools)or have the experince you do but still manage the job. I havent built 250 diff's in an 1.5hrs time, but I have rebuilt 2 8.8's IN MY DRIVEWAY w/no troubles or Ford OEM tools.... I wont insult you w/any more of my questions

WOW DUDE! I was not trying to insult you or say I am the greatest wrench ever. I said that method would completely work, it would just take awhile, and may be some people's only option. Sorry if you took it that way. I sure don't have the money to buy such a special use tool for my own use, I feel I am lucky with the situation I have and was trying to pass some knowledge along to my fellow Explorer folks. I only mentioned my experience to put some validity behind my words. And I said my BEST was 1.5 hours, at a shop, with a lift, air tools, Ford special tools, and manuals. I have complete respect for the guys doing this in the driveway. Please don't assume I am some arragent a** when you don't even know me.

When you take your differential out, all instructions say to mark the flange and Drive shaft to keep same orientation. If you are putting in a used rear end, is there any special way to orient the used one with your present drive shaft?

I have an '02 Explorer Sport 4X4 - 4.0. I'm getting a rear rubbing sound that used to happen only after braking off the interstate. This had an amount of rotational drag that dissipated the first 10-15 mph. I thought it might be bearings, but maybe something more. At a mechanic friend's house, we jacked it up and it didn't sound good forwards or back. He thought bearings too. While the wheel was stable up & down, right & left, he pulled straight out and got a half inch of play! Does this mean rear end too?

Back