Rear Entertainment - Impossible problem I can't figure out | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Rear Entertainment - Impossible problem I can't figure out

yoster

Reaction score
City, State
Clovis, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'06 Eddie Bauer v8 4x4
Hi all,

I've been battling an issue in my 2006 explorer for a year now and I cannot figure it out. Turning to you guys!

It's a 2006 eddie bauer with factory rear DVD. About a year ago, the rear DVD player stopped working. The orange LED in the upper-right corner of the unit will still shine, but the entire system was unresponsive and the screen would not light up. Note - I'm running an aftermarket Kenwood Navigation/radio system with all appropriate adapters to keep steering wheel controls and rear entertainment unit function. Been working fine for about 2 years.

So, I figured, the rear DVD unit gave up the ghost. I forked out $120 on a factory refurbished unit. Got it today, plugged it in and.... same..... exact.. problem. Orange LED will light up but the entire system is unresponsive.

I originally ruled out things like fuses/wiring due to the fact that that light was lighting up, telling me that it was at least getting power. But, now I'm wondering if perhaps the rear system has it's own fuse somewhere? I checked the manual and nothing references the rear dvd system.

So, I'm coming to you guys. Anyone have any ideas?!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Here's the wiring diagram you requested.

Attachments

• sound-systems-premium-radio-circuit-w-dvd-1-of-2.pdf
    44.5 KB · Views: 365
  • sound-systems-premium-radio-circuit-w-dvd-2-of-2.pdf
    31.9 KB · Views: 345

Thanks! Using this, I see the "SDARS" line runs to the DVD player. I don't understand why this line would need to run to the DVD player - but - it IS a fuse I didn't check because I didn't think it would control the system in any meaningful way.

BTW - I found a typo on the 2nd file - in one instance they called "SDARS" "SDRAS" ... win for me?! LOL

Lol. Typos are awesome.

Did you fix the issue?

Not yet. Going to investigate more tonight. May swap the stock radio back in to at least rule out the fact that one of the units that keeps "dvd support" isn't bad. If stock radio works - that will tell me that fuses/wiring as fine, and the issue lies specifically with the aftermarket equipment.

Any news on this?

Back